rouge pfish - thoughts

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jogilli
Site Supporter

rouge pfish - thoughts

Post by jogilli »

ok.. it aint done.. is far from done.. and isn't finished.. BUT .. I tried to save as much of the grain as I could.. it's too bad I don't have a sandblaster..

Its a big Sasquatchian type of pipe.. 6 inches long and 2 inches tall

thoughts?

james

Ocelot55

Re: rouge pfish - thoughts

Post by Ocelot55 »

I love the profile of the pipe. Just one comment about symmetry. While this pipe is supposed to be asymmetrical it is only very subtly so. When I first looked at it I thought the shaping was poor, but when I realized it was supposed to be asymmetrical things started making sense. (I'm referring more to the backside of the bowl than the shank) It could just be the angles of the photography, but I think I would have preferred to see a bit more exaggeration of the pipes asymmetrical qualities. I know your confined by the grain to a certain extent.

Over all, great job, James! Your pipes are getting so good I really have to get nit-picky to find anything to comment on.
Last edited by Ocelot55 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

At first, I didn't like this one at all. The partial rustication is what did it at first. But then...

I really like the personal touch you've done to the blowfish shape. It reminds me of a shape we've been seeing from you a lot. With this pipe, it looks like you took the blowfish shape and applied it to a shape that you already know well and succeeded in combining them beautifully. Then I realized what it made me think of: an Armored Blowfish. I don't know if they really exist, but approaching this pipe thinking about a blowfish wearing some type of medieval mail made me go... cool!

I hope that's helpful. :P
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

thanks ... i almost called it a blowegg but then... come on.. the name threw me off..

As for the rustification... the grain was flawed in places... so I tried to keep most of the grain... and rusticated the rest.. sure it's not everybodies cup of tea.. yea got that... it's growing on me though

james
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

You know, I have dabbled in partial rustications, myself, but I have never really nailed it the way that you have here.

I believe this is perhaps the finest example of a partial rustication that I have ever seen. I just love the way that you tied the rusticated areas into the design.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the angle that the stem joins the shank, as viewed from the profile of the pipe.

In the first picture, the stem appears to be about 10 degrees too far clockwise, to me. However, in the third picture, it only seems to be about a degree or two off.

So it could just be the pictures or the different angles (evident in the fourth picture) that are throwing me off.

But, yeah, I totally love your partial rustication. :thumbsup:
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Thanks.. and yes about the angles.. its the mouthpiece that is throwing it all off.. I'm going to fiddle w/the current mouthpiece and try to come up w/something .. different.. to match the pipe or consider it yet another lesson in design and cut my losses and cut a new piece that will have an angle complementary to the stem

It's not the first time I've done this.. and as soon as I put my 3rd shaping cut into the back of the flare I though.. geezzzzz you should have known better

james
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I think it might need some tweaking but overall a pretty cool pipe and the shape is very nice.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Tweating.....yea.. started that.. and the mouthpiece now looks totally different.. anyway.. at least I got it started.. off to charleston for a week and I'll be able to do something with it again the upcoming weekend

Enjoy your weeks
james
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

I really like the pipe and I hope this doesn't sound bad but... the rustication looks like the pictures of dirty smoker lungs they show you in high school. Not sure I could shake that mental image while smoking it.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.