Partially Rusticated Cherry

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PhilipMarc

Partially Rusticated Cherry

Post by PhilipMarc »

Here's the latest pipe. It's not drilled properly. The draught hole sits to the left and not at the very bottom of the bowl. Ugh. I was even more mad about it when the pipe started to look pretty good at the shaping disc.
Overall I'm pretty pleased, but I definitely screwed up here and there...the rustication was easy, but it was difficult to stain it black without getting it everywhere. I did it with the tip of a pipe cleaner, and VERY slowly to make sure I stained the joint completely, but didn't spill it all over the pipe. Let me know what you think! Critical words welcome.

www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
Ocelot55

Re: Partially Rusticated Cherry

Post by Ocelot55 »

That looks pretty sharp. The shaping on the stummel looks great. My only complaint is the stem It could use a lot of thinning out, and IMHO I would have made the stem uniform thickness after the flare. I think that would look more refined. Overall great job!
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

I agree with you actually. I'm still struggling to get past the hump of my own impatience. I noticed the stem was kind of lumpy but found myself too lazy to do something about it. It's a really bad habit and the cause of more than one "less than perfect" pipe. :?
andrew

Post by andrew »

This pipe seemed to turn out pretty well for you. I would make the stem more uniform. The lump stands out prominently. The button could be thinned out quite a bit (front to back, not top to bottom). The part of the stem in front of the ring could probably be shortened a bit. The stain seems more of less even. there is a light spot near the stem/shank junction. The back and front of the bowl are not jiving quite as well as I would hope. The front has a nice curve to it, matching the majority of the pipe, but the back of the bowl is pretty straight. Kinda throws off the groove a little. The area on the shank where it meets the bowl (the rusticated area) has a lip on it (on the shank side) that messes with the flow from shank to bowl. If it were a little smoother (plus adding some curve to the back of the bowl) it would add to the overall gracefullness of the pipe quite a bit. This is a whole lot better than some of my firsts.
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

Haha, wow. It's funny how I could finish a pipe, look at it, think "Hey this is awesome!" and then read a review like that, and say "wow, he's right...it's garbage." I know you don't think it's garbage, but suddenly all those things are sticking out like a sore thumb and I didn't really notice them much before.

Thanks! I am learning a lot.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Don't be too hard on yourself. The pipe is not garbage. I don't think I know of anyone on the forum (including myself) now that would talk about a new carver's work as garbage, even behind closed doors. You're not expected to produce the Sistine Chapel right now :D . Enjoy the learning process! I would never intend my comments to make you feel like your work was "garbage". If that's what came across, I aplologize. I'm glad to see you posting your work on the forum. Keep at it! If you ever run into something while you are working on a pipe feel free to PM me or any of the other members for advice. Sometimes I have questions that quite honestly don't deserve the full attention of the forum, so I send a PM to another carver. Anyway, take care.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Bowl shaping and rustication are really good, and the shank and stem are good right up until the flare, after that it all goes a bit wrong. Thin that saddle after the flare, blend everything together nicely and get a good polish and shine, then you will be looking at a great pipe!