Elephant's Knee

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Elephant's Knee

Post by Growley »

I don't expect many to actually like this pipe. It's one of those things where I just decided to work on some wood and see what came out of it. For better or worse, here's what came out of it...

Oh, the stem is Acrylic Cumberland.

As always, thanks for looking!

Brian.
Ocelot55

Re: Elephant's Knee

Post by Ocelot55 »

Brian,

I don't know why you think few of us will like this pipe. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the shape at all. As far as the carved grooves, I consider that just another style of rustication. In fact, I'm really quite fond of the overall shape. I nice fluid gently dublin with a plateau top is just fine in my book.

You can also tell that your stemwork is getting better. I like it a lot. No critique here. Keep churning em out!
JMG

Post by JMG »

My only two critiques would be that the bottom of the button looks like it may have gotten nicked a little bit, and I'm not sure about flaring the top of the tobacco chamber...though this may just be personal preference. I have no idea if there is any technical reason for not doing this or not.

Ok.....with the critiques out of the way I would now like to say that this is one VERY cool looking pipe. The rustication is incredibly unique. It almost looks like old leather that is folding over itself. The overall shape is fantastic. You seem like you are really stepping out of the box on these last few pipes, Brian...I mean that in a good way. Challenging yourself is obviously proving to be a good thing for you. Great job man.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I really like the concept of this pipe. With the pipe upside down, I can see exactly why you've named it the elephant's knee. Also, I don't know that I'd call the finish rustication, because it looks like the whole pipe is actually smooth, just grooved. I think that overall, the pipe is executed very well.

As far as critiques go, I'd say two things:

1. The stem doesn't feel like it continues the composition. Proportionally, I think it's pretty much spot on, but there's something that feels separate about the stem. Just brain storming here, but perhaps if the grooves continued into the first part of the stem through the shank/stem junction?
2. The bit looks to be a bit thick and has an unfinished feel to me. For reference, what I think looks finished is a thin bit both vertically and horizontally with a smooth curve connecting both edges of the stem.

Otherwise, I think this is a really cool pipe. It looks like it took some serious time to execute and it looks like your time was well spent! I hope to see more of this finish on your pipes, 'cause it is really cool!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Shar pei rustication! A little starch, 5 minutes with an iron, and you'd have a sweet horn.

Nothing wrong with it, but you're probably right, not as many people will be into that. As far as rustication goes, I think it's pretty cool.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

The name is just spot on :D

It really looks like the front leg of an elephant rising up!
JMG

Post by JMG »

I really like looking at this pipe's rustication, Brian. One of my favorites so far...overall, not just of your pipes. I'm not sure it would work well with other shapes, but it's just perfect for this one.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Growley

Post by Growley »

Thanks for all the comments. I like the Shar Pei reference. I really wanted to make it look like wrinkles rather than just lines, so it looked like it was bending on it's own. My muse was initially floral based, then as I started working on it, sea creatures started coming to mind. I like the crawling look that I've seen on a few pipes, like they has a life of their own.

I'm still not sure I actually like looking at this one, but it feels really cool when you hold it! Ha, when I showed my daughters they let out a slight shriek of terror.

I've been looking at a lot of strange pipes lately. :D I guess it wore off on me.

Thanks again.

Brian.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I really like the way this was done. Cool!
PS - Are the walls maybe a tad too thin, or is that my imagination (and a heavy week behind me)
Growley

Post by Growley »

Charl wrote:I really like the way this was done. Cool!
PS - Are the walls maybe a tad too thin, or is that my imagination (and a heavy week behind me)
Thanks for the compliment. I think the oval chamber (which is only oval at the top) might be throwing you off. The walls are right around 1/4 inch all the way around. (Is that too thin?)

Brian.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I think that is pretty cool, how long did it take to sand all those grooves?
Growley

Post by Growley »

caskwith wrote:I think that is pretty cool, how long did it take to sand all those grooves?
I was able to cut the groves in very little time. Sanding them smooth was what took longer. I would say over all I spent an hour getting them the way I wanted them.
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hi,
have seen long and several times the pictures of the Pipe.
That is so cool, very nice work.
The pipe has a very great curving and looks super processed.
Congratulations to this beautiful piece.
Greetings Tommi
my English is bad
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Very original.
Best regards.
Félix

Muy original.
Saludos.
Félix
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

cool looking pipe...!!!
congratulations...
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

It almost looks like old leather that is folding over itself.
Perfect description. I like it. I do see the issue with the button but couldn't decide if it was a nick or just the light.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

bandkbrooks wrote:
It almost looks like old leather that is folding over itself.
Perfect description. I like it. I do see the issue with the button but couldn't decide if it was a nick or just the light.
It's the light. I need to invest in a light box so I can quit taking photos on a concrete slab :roll:
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Brian

this works also... many of us do it this way

http://www.digital-photography-school.c ... light-tent

james
Growley

Post by Growley »

jogilli wrote:Brian

this works also... many of us do it this way

http://www.digital-photography-school.c ... light-tent

james
How cool is that? I could have my kids make that while I'm working on a pipe :lol: I think I'm going to try one and see how it goes. Thanks for sending this!

Brian.