Chamber question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
HumblePipe

Chamber question

Post by HumblePipe »

Well, I recently drilled a chamber that was about a quarer of an inch below my air passage, any suggestions, or should I chalk it up to the fact that I am going to waste some tobacco everytime I smoke it?...
e Markle

Re: Chamber question

Post by e Markle »

If you're going to keep it for yourself, there's nothing wrong with adding a little bit of extra bowl coat to the bottom of the chamber.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I've read of some guys using white tile grout to build up the bottom.

The unflavored kind, of course.

Rad
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Thanks guys, this particular pipe came out pretty darn nice, and I was going to sell it, so I really don't know what to do...
Growley

Post by Growley »

Here's another trick I did on my very first pipe before I knew anything about anything... If you're going to keep this for yourself, you can create a false bottom out of briar. I did this on my very first pipe.

It's not easy to do, but you have to cut a pice of briar out in the same diameter as your bowl, and a bit taller than what you actually need. With this you're creating a new briar floor. If you slightly cover your smoke hole up with the new floor you can re-drill it to exactly where you need to be. It has to be a perfect fit and should take some jamming in to get it in place. I didn't have to use glue or anything, it's just like I drilled it right the first time. This way, you've still got briar at the bottom and don't have to waste tobacco each time you smoke it.

Keep in mind this a seriously novice approach to making a pipe, that you don't want to get rid of, work. It would never fly out in the market.

I can see wanting to salvage a pipe you spent a lot of hours working on. I think I put over 23 hours on my first pipe, and I certainly wasn't willing to get rid of it. At this point, if I drilled it too deep, I'd chuck it in the waste box and start a new one...but that kind of approach comes with time I think. Eventually you just won't drill too deep. You'll get it right every time.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Thanks for the advice Growley, I suppose I will probably be keeping this one unless someone is willing to accept its flaw and pick up pretty cheap.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

HumblePipe wrote:Thanks for the advice Growley, I suppose I will probably be keeping this one unless someone is willing to accept its flaw and pick up pretty cheap.
yeah, there's nothing wrong with selling a pipe with issues as long as you disclose the problem (sounds like that's not a concern here as it's probably pretty obvious) and price accordingly.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Thanks E, What do you think should be knocked off for something like that? I really don't even know what to seel pipes for to begin with but, lets say I wanted to normally sell this one for $65, what do you think is appropriate for a price range with this flaw?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

HumblePipe wrote:I really don't even know what to seel pipes for to begin with but, lets say I wanted to normally sell this one for $65, what do you think is appropriate for a price range with this flaw?
I don't know. Got pictures? How it looks is a pretty big determining factor.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I usually sell seconds for half price, but if I had one with a bowl bottom truly 1/4" below the smoke hole, I'd chuck it in the trash and not even think about selling it. If someone is begging for it knowing what the problem is, that's a different matter, and you should let your conscience be your guide.

Keeping in mind that half price is a starting point. :)

Rad
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Thanks guys!