Crosby Egg

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ArtGuy

Crosby Egg

Post by ArtGuy »

Here is my latest pipe. My battery gave out right after this pic so I will have to put better pics on here later. The grain turned out pretty nice and with only one tiny sand pit, that it seems only I can see, becuase I always have to point it out to people.

There is a little portion of Plateax left on the rim. It kinda adds a fossilized egg dinosaur egg look to it. I purposely carved it so that the plateaux was only visible from the top and did not alter the lines when viewed from the side. It sorta acts sorta like a little surprise when you turn the pipe around. I will post more pics later.

All comments welcome, trust me, after 10 years in the Art World I can take any critique you can throw at me :)

Egg Shape
5 3/4" long
2 1/8" High

Here are a couple more pics:

PS I researve the right to spell the word "Plateax" with as many variations as I like :D
Last edited by ArtGuy on Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marks

Post by marks »

That is a pretty pipe. I really like the color of the stain, and the way you finished it makes the grain stand out. Is that a hand cut stem? Just curious, because if it is, you did a nice job. If not, you picked a nice one to go with the shape.

Just one nit picky comment:
-The curve on the bottom of the bowl seems to peak just a little too close to the shank

Your pipes keep getting better and better. Very nice job!!!!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very cool!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

John,

Looks good bud!

I really like the shape of the bowl. Wonderful proportion and flow. I really like the way the grain compliments the shape. I like the character of the partial-plateaux rim.

The main tweak I might suggest is that the shank/bowl junction on the bottom looks like it could be refined ever so slightly. Just a tiny little increase in the curve on the underside of the shank at the bowl would improve the flow, I think. It is so minor though, it is possible that the photos are fooling my eye.

Stylistically, this pipe reminds me of the Fat Boys. It is obviously a different shape, but the proportions are similar with a short-ish shank and a large bowl. Is this your trademanrk? :)

Well done.

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Tyler,

The Fat Boy look seems to be a signature look that has developed. Once thing that I have learned from painting is to allow for a style to evolve naturally and I think it relates to pipe carving as well.

I have tried in the past to start a series with too much of a pre-concieved notion just to end up with work that looks forced. Since then I have always gone for the; make a bunch of pieces, listen to feedback from others, and figure out what they mean after the fact approach.

If you let your design mature that way, I think you progress at a much faster rate and a signature look will come out naturally just like handwriting.

Concerning the 'Fat Boy' look, could it be true that over time ones pipes begin to look like thier maker? :D
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

John,

Having thought quite about about a unique style, I agree that it is best when it is naturally developed over time. I think an artisan needs to stretch himself and try to develop new things within his craft, but I think the style is best when it is more a reflection of the maker than some artificially developed look.
Concerning the 'Fat Boy' look, could it be true that over time ones pipes begin to look like thier maker?
Maybe so.

:wink:

Perhaps that explains my typo?
Is this your trademanrk?
:D

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

What you find is, that even though early on you may be making a pretty eclectic body of work, there are certain characteristics (both positive and negative) that are present throughout the entire group. Once you decide which of those characteristics you like you can work on developing them more.

The key is, you need to make a number or pipes first and get feedback from others. (both expert and non expert) Then you compare that to your own sense of design. At that point you can get more of an idea of what you have to work with.