Freehand with Inlay Shank Extension

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
taharris

Freehand with Inlay Shank Extension

Post by taharris »

I made this pipe for a customer who wanted a pipe with "pop".

I think the bowl is a little too high or the stem is a little too short (or both), but I am happy with the shank extension.

The extension is Ebony and then Blood Wood with Ebony inlay. I had originally only planned to use the Blood Wood extension, but when I cut the shank to size I discovered a huge fissure. So, faced with a "design opportunity" I opted to add an Ebony extension ahead of the Blood Wood.

Comments and critiques appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Todd

Ocelot55

Re: Freehand with Inlay Shank Extension

Post by Ocelot55 »

That is an impressive extension! How were the ebony strips through the blood wood created?
taharris

Post by taharris »

Take a piece of Blood Wood about 3/4 x 3/4 and cut at a 45 degree angle with the band saw most of the way through.

Glue in a pre-cut strip of Ebony.

Go back to the band saw and cut at 45 degrees from the other side most of the way through and glue in a second Ebony strip.

Todd
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's what I thought. I haven't done too much of that before. One time I glued some strips of walnut and oak to achieve a similar effect. Eventually the wood split away form each other. Each type of wood had a different expansion rate.
Gig

Post by Gig »

Nice work Todd :)
Cheers from downunder
taharris

Post by taharris »

Ocelot55 wrote:That's what I thought. I haven't done too much of that before. One time I glued some strips of walnut and oak to achieve a similar effect. Eventually the wood split away form each other. Each type of wood had a different expansion rate.
I was a little concerned about long term strength, so I glued a brass tube inside.

Todd

(And thanks Gig.)
frazeeg

Post by frazeeg »

I love bloodwood, but I hate that it just turns brown after a while. Hopefully yours keeps for a while (or still looks good when it does change).
-=Pride is not a sin=-
taharris

Post by taharris »

I stabilized the Red Heart with thin CA glue, so hopefully that will help maintain the color.

Todd
andrew

Post by andrew »

The extension work does add pop. I think the CA should keep the oxidation at bay. Sunlight was the color killer for a redheart extension I made for one of my own pipes. I didn't seal it properly though, just waxed it. Stupid sun with it's burny burny UV rays....
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's cool Todd.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

That's a nice pipe. The stem could have maybe been a tad longer but I think it still works. And, yeah, really great extension! Reminds me of a fancy rifle. Nice work!
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Todd