First Bulldog, atrocious pictures

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

First Bulldog, atrocious pictures

Post by Ocelot55 »

Okay folks, here is my first attempt at a bulldog. I have a love hate relationship with this pipe. I like the basic size and idea but there are a lot of flaws: the shank narrows at the bowl a bit, the hand cut rings (I have no lathe) are not even or evenly spaced, the overall shape of the bowl is too oblong, and there is a lack of flow.

Sorry about the crappy picks (making pipes is my hobby, not photography)

As usual, any critique is welcome. Don't be too hard though, I realize this is far from well proportioned and shaped.
wdteipen

Re: First Bulldog, atrocious pictures

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad at all for a first attempt at the shape. It's a hard one to get right. Looks like you did a good job on the diamond shank. The bowl shape is a touch off but not bad. The rings could be thinner and tighter. The stem could be thinner towards the button. Nice work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

wdteipen wrote:Not bad at all for a first attempt at the shape. It's a hard one to get right. Looks like you did a good job on the diamond shank. The bowl shape is a touch off but not bad. The rings could be thinner and tighter. The stem could be thinner towards the button. Nice work.
Thanks Wayne. I am really trying to get some practice in on this shape if I plan on entering the PITH trade this year. I'm gonna to try to churn out another one before year's end.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Looks great to me, other than the stuff you already pointed out. Very nice. That appears to be a difficult shape.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
DMI

Post by DMI »

Shaping a bulldog by hand takes a lot of practice, of the three I have done one was ok but it was slighlty stylised.

Apart fom the out of round problem the only thing that jumped out at me was the lump on the top of the stem near the mortice, the transition into the taper is a little harder on the top than bottom.

David