My first sandblast

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ocelot55

My first sandblast

Post by Ocelot55 »

Ok, let me apologize for the poor photo quality.

I managed to bribe a friend of mine, an artist here at the university, to allow me access to the sandblaster he uses for his ceramics. I blasted a couple of shop pipes and they turned out alright. Here is the best one of the lot.

I know my stem/shank junction has some space. I haven't figured out if the end needs more countersinking or if my tenon is too long... oh well. As usual, any constructive criticism is welcome...and needed :mrgreen:
Growley

Re: My first sandblast

Post by Growley »

I won't comment on the blast as I've never done one and haven't developed either opinions or or understanding of what's good and acceptable. As far as the space in your stem/shank junction from the pics you're most likely looking at a tenon that's too long...or a mortise that's too shallow, depending on how you look at it. If you can hold it up to the light and see all the way though it, all the way around (besides the tenon of course) then your tenon is too long or is too snug to fit all the way into your mortise. If you can see any place (other than the tenon) where the stem actually touches the shank then you've got a facing issue.

If it is a facing issue, remember when your'e taking material off either the stem or your shank to make the faces true, then you're also making your tenon too long assuming it was the correct length prior to making any changes.

I hope this helps some.

Brian
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad for a first. Do you know what grit and type of media was used and at what psi? I'm no sandblasting expert but it looks like it's a bit too aggressive. Finer grit media seems to be the easiest and most forgiving even at higher psi.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

wdteipen wrote:Not bad for a first. Do you know what grit and type of media was used and at what psi? I'm no sandblasting expert but it looks like it's a bit too aggressive. Finer grit media seems to be the easiest and most forgiving even at higher psi.
I do not know the media grit, though I do know it was glass bead. We used 50psi for this particular blast. Since the sandblaster is not mine it might be difficult to change out media.

If I could just sell some pipes maybe I could buy my own.....that would take a lot of pipes! :mrgreen: