squaring blocks

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Ocelot55

squaring blocks

Post by Ocelot55 »

First of all, I'm new to this forum, and think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. I never thought I'd be able to get tips from some of the greats in this business.

Here is my question: How do you guys square your blocks before you drill them? I know there are a lot of different ways to do it, but right now I'm trying to figure out a way to do so with the tools I have. This is limited to a hand drill with a rather flimsy sanding pad and a drill press. My drilling is usually not off my much, but enough to be noticeable and extremely annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
taharris

Re: squaring blocks

Post by taharris »

I use a band saw. Other pipe makers use a table saw or a power sander.

If you are limited to the tools you listed, then this may be your best bet:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200318 ... laner.aspx

I have never used one nor spoken to anyone who has.

Todd
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Thanks Todd.

I've thought about picking up a band saw since they are not expensive. My current problem is that all my pipe making paraphernalia is set up in the back of my local tobacconist's shop. They are extremely generous to let me keep it all there. I live in a dormitory so I have no room of my own.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I actually don't square them at all. It never seemed necessary to me. YMMV.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

KurtHuhn wrote:I actually don't square them at all. It never seemed necessary to me. YMMV.

Kurt,

If you don't square the block how do you mark the pipe? I've just been finding the center line. If I can just get the engineering down I think some of my pipes would be worth trying to sell.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

KurtHuhn wrote:I actually don't square them at all. It never seemed necessary to me. YMMV.
I don't typically either. Most blocks arrive good enough, and if they absolutely won't line up, a quick touch on the sander solves it.
Archer

Post by Archer »

+1
frazeeg

Post by frazeeg »

Not that I have all that much experience, I've found that making the block perfectly square is unnecessary. When you're drawing the lines, just try to make them line up and eyeball them straight when you mount the block in the lathe chuck.
-=Pride is not a sin=-
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I don't square my blocks either. Pick one side and do all your measurements from it. For example, if you determine that center for your tobacco chamber is 1" from that side then measure center for your airway drilling at 1" from that same side. It's also helpful when drilling on a drill press to have a milling vise. I also don't square my blocks for lathe drilling but I had custom jaws made so I can cant the block to get the best use of the grain.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

wdteipen wrote:I don't square my blocks either. Pick one side and do all your measurements from it. For example, if you determine that center for your tobacco chamber is 1" from that side then measure center for your airway drilling at 1" from that same side. It's also helpful when drilling on a drill press to have a milling vise. I also don't square my blocks for lathe drilling but I had custom jaws made so I can cant the block to get the best use of the grain.

I guess I'm trying to over complicate things. I had never thought of squaring the block until I read the PIMO pipe making book, and ironically after I had read the book, many more of my pipes came out with flawed engineering. I don't know about everyone else but some of the tips listed there just don't work very well for me. That doesn't mean that the PIMO book is a bad resource, just that I don't think that way when I make a pipe.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Well, I'll be the contrarian then. I square all my blocks on a disk sander. :roll:

Rad
Nate

Post by Nate »

RadDavis wrote:Well, I'll be the contrarian then. I square all my blocks on a disk sander. :roll:

Rad
You just always have to go against the grain don't you?! :D :wink:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I make my blocks even squarer than Rad's. Smoother too.

I use a table saw, but that's cuz I never had to pay for my fingers - just grew 'em for free.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

The trend lately is for pipes to be all curvy and stuff. I try and make my blocks curvy, not square.

;)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Soonz I learnta cut square tenons youz all be losin!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Just use the dado, then you can cut a square tenon in four passes :lol:
But seriously, I square mine on a table saw. Don't do it that way unless you are very comfortable with your saw. Lots of blade exposed to remove... stuff.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Maybe if you could market that finger growing thing old-school shop class would come back... *sigh*.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Same as Rad for me. When a new batch of briar arrives I clean up the plateau a little with a wire brush, just to get rid of the flaky bits and then with a fresh disc on the 12" sander I sit down and square up all the blocks. Means i know I can grab a block off the shelf and it is pretty much ready to go.
Archer

Post by Archer »

RadDavis wrote:Well, I'll be the contrarian then. I square all my blocks on a disk sander. :roll:

Rad
I will say it like this; if I had a disk sander and a bandsaw that was halfway square itself, I may just take the time to do it. It cant hurt and as everyone says they would be pretty much ready to go off the shelf. However, that said, if you use a lathe and at least center the drilling points as close as possible to one another, the rest will spin around that axis, regardless of squaring.

That said, squaring is very important if you are using squares or straight edge devices to find centers. If you use a center finder tool or simply draw a line from corner to corner, this would be close enough for gubment work Id imagine. Hasnt failed in other turning projects!

In the meantime we make do with what we have!
duckman

Post by duckman »

I may have a simpler explanation for what I do. I do not square the block i choose a side that is flat to lay the pipe out on this side. After doing this i keep this side flat to the jaws of the chuck as i drill, using shims as necessary to clamp against on the other.
I do have a bigger combo mill/lathe from Grizzleys but prefer drill in the mill drill press style , i haven't gotten a 4 jaw scroll chuck yet.
Last edited by duckman on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.