Danish style spoon bits

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
achduliebe

Danish style spoon bits

Post by achduliebe »

Does anybody have a picture of these style of bits for drilling tobacco chambers? I see that Ken Lamb sells a set, but I did not see a pic. I would like to see a pic if anyone has one available.

Thanks a bunch.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Brian,

here is a photo of Tom Eltang's collection.

http://www.finepipes.com/DenmarkTrip/El ... GA0973.JPG

Jeff
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Jeff,

Thank you much. That is exactly what I was looking for. I had heard many things about these type of bits, but not having seen them before I could not fathom exactly what they look like.

Thanks,
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

alright, now who can explain to the village idiot (me) why they're different? 8O
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

bscofield wrote:alright, now who can explain to the village idiot (me) why they're different? 8O
Hey Ben,

You can use them to drill pipes by hand after having shaped them first. The advantages to this are myriad. Once you've drilled sort of a large "pilot hole" they're basically self tracking. The process is a bit tricky, but once you get the hang of it you'll never go back.

Best,

Todd
JMB

Post by JMB »

Todd wrote:
" but once you get the hang of it you'll never go back."

I remember they said the same thing about Coke.lol
Nick

Post by Nick »

Could you explain that a bit more Todd? Its an interesting concept.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Random,

They are very different than spade bits. These bits are cylindrical/conical and milled to just about half-way through. That leaves the cutting edge and the rounded back. The rounded back is a major part of how these bits work properly.

Jeff
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:That's the first picture I've seen of the things. They look just like spade bits with heavy shafts to me. Why are these so much better than spade bits?
Why don't we just say they're different. If you are interested in making pipes with tight straight grain that follows the shape, and you don't want pits, then yes, I'd say drilling by hand with these bits is an easier way to achieve those results more frequently. If you're just concerned with shape, or you don't need your time in the shop to pay for itself, or you're planning on smoking the pipes you make yourself, then the "spoon bits" really have little advantage over spade or twist bit. Additionally, if you turn pipes on a lathe, there would be absolutely no reason to use them. So, they're not "better," they're just better for making a living.

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Apprentice Todd: :P
If you are interested in making pipes with tight straight grain that follows the shape, and you don't want pits, then yes, I'd say drilling by hand with these bits is an easier way to achieve those results more frequently.
I assume by this that you mean that it's good for people who shape before drilling? Is that what drilling by hand is...?
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

bscofield wrote:Apprentice Todd: :P
If you are interested in making pipes with tight straight grain that follows the shape, and you don't want pits, then yes, I'd say drilling by hand with these bits is an easier way to achieve those results more frequently.
I assume by this that you mean that it's good for people who shape before drilling? Is that what drilling by hand is...?
Yes, shaping first is a necessary part of the equation that I left out. That's where any real advantages are of course--in the shaping.

Todd
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Ben,

The way I understand it is that the pipe is shaped and then the spoon bit is chucked up in the lathe.....or whatever means is used to spin it, and the stummel is held in the hand and then pushed into the spoon bit. I have seen pictures of this method before, looks very cool and like Todd said there is a very limited number of people drilling the tobacco chamber in this fashion. All of which, as far as I know, are high grade carvers.

I posted this question because, I have seen the spoon type bits that are used for boring holes for making chairs. I was curious as to what the Danish spoon bits looked like compared to the spoon bits used in chair making. I don't know that I will ever have the kahonas to hold a stummel in my hand and push it into a spinning drill bit. That kind of freaks me out....not to mention the possibility of drilling a tobacco chamber in the palm of my hand!
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Ok I had an OOPS in my last post, I said the following:

"and like Todd said there is a very limited number of people drilling the tobacco chamber in this fashion"

I don't know why I put that in there because Todd made no such statement.

Sorry Todd...

I did read somewhere however, that there are a limited number of people using this method.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

That kind of freaks me out....not to mention the possibility of drilling a tobacco chamber in the palm of my hand!
The question is would you have the balls to drill the drought hole in your thumb afterwards??? :lol: :lol:

FYI, the comment about not too many people using this method was made to us (I think you were there) was by jeff in the chat room yesterday. If you weren't there maybe you read it in the last quotes of the chat room?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Ben,

You are probably right. I did hear that somewhere, for some reason I had thought Todd had said it in one of his previous posts to this thread. My 32 years is starting to tell on me!

Anyways, I would like to see somebody drill out a tobacco chamber this way. I am very interested in this method. I have seen still photos but never a video of this technique.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

achduliebe wrote:Anyways, I would like to see somebody drill out a tobacco chamber this way. I am very interested in this method. I have seen still photos but never a video of this technique.
With a baby on the way, we're buying ourselves a digital video camera for Xmas. I'll be happy to make a short video. Maybe Tyler can even upload it to his site.

Todd
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Todd,

That would be much appreciate.

Also, congratulations on the baby!
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

....and a Yankee no less :-))

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

sagiter wrote:....and a Yankee no less :-))

Neil
THE BABY WILL NOT BE A YANKEE! He'll be part of what I like to call the Southern diaspora. We will try to have him in the Commonwealth of Virginia before his second birthday. This should remove any scarring that may occur from his having been born in Connecticut.

I sell you no more pipe!

Todd-not a Yankee-Johnson