The 2nd pipe I made, Bamboo Acorn..

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pzhan

The 2nd pipe I made, Bamboo Acorn..

Post by pzhan »

Hey guys, I just finished my 2nd pipe. It is a classic shape - Acorn with bamboo.
let me know what you think, and thanks in advance. :D

Sasquatch

Re: The 2nd pipe I made, Bamboo Acorn..

Post by Sasquatch »

Technically, I think there's 3 places to make adjustments on that pipe. First, the button looks pretty chunky on an otherwise fairly thin and refined stem - some of this is personal preference but that one still looks big to me.

The bamboo mortise will swell, shrink, loosen, possibly crack... it needs to be treated with some kind of stabilizing agent in my opinion, if you haven't done so already.

The crust of the plateaux should be taken off with a wire brush. Eventually, a piece is going to flake off and leave bare unfinished briar exposed, and the customer will then think the pipe is falling apart!

Pretty nice execution though overall.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

Sasquatch wrote:Technically, I think there's 3 places to make adjustments on that pipe. First, the button looks pretty chunky on an otherwise fairly thin and refined stem - some of this is personal preference but that one still looks big to me.

The bamboo mortise will swell, shrink, loosen, possibly crack... it needs to be treated with some kind of stabilizing agent in my opinion, if you haven't done so already.

The crust of the plateaux should be taken off with a wire brush. Eventually, a piece is going to flake off and leave bare unfinished briar exposed, and the customer will then think the pipe is falling apart!

Pretty nice execution though overall.
Thanks man, the suggestions are very helpful.
The bamboo is not treated, at least I haven't. it is because i don't know how. :cry:
can you tell me how to treat bamboo, or what article should i read.

Thanks.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I have very little experience with it, really. Usually, when you see bamboo in a pipe, it has a sleeve in it of some kind - delrin or metal or briar or something.

The treatment would be similar to stabilizing wood, I presume, which amounts to making the thing absolutely impervious to water. If you look up stabilization (ping pong balls is a good search term, I swear), you'll see some home-made methods. I don't know if treating it with something like Linseed oil would help or hinder...
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

Sasquatch wrote:I have very little experience with it, really. Usually, when you see bamboo in a pipe, it has a sleeve in it of some kind - delrin or metal or briar or something.

The treatment would be similar to stabilizing wood, I presume, which amounts to making the thing absolutely impervious to water. If you look up stabilization (ping pong balls is a good search term, I swear), you'll see some home-made methods. I don't know if treating it with something like Linseed oil would help or hinder...
Thanks for the tip. i will look into it. (i will try ping pong balls :mrgreen: )

When the bamboo has a tube in it, it will prevent the moisture get into it.
and at the same time, it will create hotter smoke. (at least that is what I thought. )
That is why I didn't insert a tube into the bamboo.

Let me know what do you guys usually do to the bamboo, insert a tube into it or not.

Thanks.
Peter
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Come on, that's impossible to make a pipe like this on your second try! :shock:
Great job, it look very refined, Sas pointed out some aspects that can be improved, but for a second pipe this is probably way too good! :)
Lookin forward to seeing more of your work!
pzhan

Post by pzhan »

keilwerth wrote:Come on, that's impossible to make a pipe like this on your second try! :shock:
Great job, it look very refined, Sas pointed out some aspects that can be improved, but for a second pipe this is probably way too good! :)
Lookin forward to seeing more of your work!
Thanks man, you are too nice. :lol: