First Kit Completed and Pipe Photography

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ScoJo

First Kit Completed and Pipe Photography

Post by ScoJo »

Well, I posted a before pic and two after pics in my gallery. I used this first pipe to get a tutoring session on pipe finishing from John Crosby (Thanks for the tips, John!). The after photos in the gallery were taken by me - I just put the thing down on the couch and snapped a couple of digital pictures. These are pictures of the same pipe, taken by the much more experienced Mr. Crosby in his garage photo setup (without taking a great deal of time to set things up, I might add - just a quick couple of snaps). I am struck by how much nicer John's quick pics make my pipe look. Looks like there is a second part of this pipemaking thing that I hadn't counted on: pipe photography! I have seen fancy shots of pipes taken with briar blocks, rods, wood shavings, nature scenes, you name it. There is definitely something to that part of things.

Now that it is finished, my biggest regret is not more sharply defining the shank/bowl transition and actually committing to a shape. I can't figure out if this thing is a volcano, a brandy, an apple... a volbranapple?

Now who wants to order briar with me? I need more cheapie newbie blocks! After one briar pipe I am hooked.

-Scott
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Wow...Scott, that is a fine looking pipe! Very nice!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I thought I recognized that gold pipe holder... :)

EDIT: I went and looked at the pics in your gallery. What a change! I have a question tho: Which one best reflects the color of your pipe?
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

The color in John's pictures is much more like the real color. The ones I took are too orange. Although John's are a little dark and not as much of the grain is showing.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

FYI: looks like a brandy to me

I still want to get in on a bulk order of briar, even if there's just a few of us. I just don't know when I can afford it :x
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

I'd say that's a damn fine first effort !!

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
jeff

Post by jeff »

I'll second that, Neil. Scott, that is a very impressive first pipe.

Jeff
marks

Post by marks »

Very Impressive!
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Thanks, guys. The opinion of the folks on this board means a lot. If you have advice on how I can make my shapes better please let me know. Today I have vowed to order more briar (I only had this one kit), although I don't know where from. I sent email to Briar Grains, but haven't gotten a response yet on shipping (and I don't really want to wait 3 weeks to get it either). I'm interested in getting a small quantity (like 5-6) of cheaper blocks (since I will be trying to drill them myself and don't want to throw away a lot of money if I screw that part up). I'll look at Pimo and JHLowe. Based on what I have seen and read I guess I will get some shaped bits from Pimo this time around (I don't have a bench grinder yet). Guess I will learn to shape my own bits by sharpening or modifying those. Some molded stems will be on the list for now too.

I smoked this first one last night, and you guys are right. There is little more satisfying than smoking something that you made yourself. And Tyler, I think you are right about the importance of stems in the smoking experience. I think I will be spending some time concentrating and learning about this.

-Scott
Nick

Post by Nick »

Way cool pipe bud!