Shaping

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
buster

Shaping

Post by buster »

Hello,

I'm interested in shaping before drilling. Unfortunately I can't afford spoon bits. I do have a drill press, milling vise, and ground spade bits. Does anyone have any experience with this setup that could give me some advice? Thank you very much.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Shaping

Post by Tyler »

buster wrote:Hello,

I'm interested in shaping before drilling. Unfortunately I can't afford spoon bits. I do have a drill press, milling vise, and ground spade bits. Does anyone have any experience with this setup that could give me some advice? Thank you very much.
Drill first.

Save up for a lathe and spoon bits, and give that a go later.

That's my advice.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Me too.

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

+me

Spade bits are too dangerous to use the shape first drill second method.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
buster

Post by buster »

Is it too dangerous to try with the milling vise also? I was planning on using that instead of my hand.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

buster wrote:Is it too dangerous to try with the milling vise also? I was planning on using that instead of my hand.
How many pipes have you made? My advice is to not try and take on everything at once. Take baby steps. I've never drilled after shaping. Tyler has only recently taken up the method, and you can ask him about how that's going.

Placing a stummel in any kind of vice after it's shaped and getting things lined up for proper drilling will be very difficult.

You can make perfectly fine pipes drilling first, and it's much more straight forward. Then you can concentrate on the shaping and making a nice pipe without totally screwing it up when you go to drill it. :)

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

RadDavis wrote:Tyler has only recently taken up the method, and you can ask him about how that's going.
My drawer is filling up with screwed up stummels. Other than that it's, you know, great.