fresh from the buffer.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
aaron

fresh from the buffer.

Post by aaron »

Some of the things I have been working on.

Some did not turn out so well, others turned out great and are for sale at the local pipe shop (South Pacific Pipes and Cigars).

I really liked how this one turned out, Look at the cross grain on the sides, and the Bird's eye on the front.

Next is my first Volcano shape, I used a Dremel to inscribe "Sacred Fire" on the front in Japanese, I did not start this idea, one of the many fine pipe makers on this site did. I thank everyone here for sharing their ideas with new people like me.

This one did not do very well with the drilling, I need to re-design the angles of the holes. Oh well, another one for my personal collection :D
It looks like a soup ladle to my wife.- again though, I love the bird's eye!

This one was kind of a practice, but it turned out nicely. I was practicing with inserts and briar extensions. I think it went well, the joints are as smooth as a solid piece.

I would appreciate opinions and comments. These are pipes 12 thru 15. If you have only made one or two, stick with it, it does not take much to get where I am. :wink:

Aaron
I just want to be the best that I can be.
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Aside from the fact that the pictures are a little blurry (no one is perfect.... :) ) I am most fond of Soup Ladle. Being fond of soup, and of pipes, this is a brilliant piece.

What precisely was wrong with the angle of the drilling?

The horizontal grain on the first pipe is phenomenal. I understand that bird's eyes are the best, but I'm a fan of grain (no culinary preferences to be inferred!) The finish looks great.

Three thumbs up!

I'm not overly fond of the volcano. But then, I'm more in line with a sleeker look. Perhaps you might try engraving the letters on the shank rather in plain view. Subtlety wins points in my book.

Just some thoughts, torn out of my head at 3am....

A
aaron

Post by aaron »

The bowl and the air hole are at about a 75 degree angle. it puts the air hole way too high where it came out. No bother, a little thinking, and I should have another.

I also like grain, but the eye in the front of that sitter almost looks 3-D.

Thanks for the comments.

Aaron
RAY

Post by RAY »

Hey Aaron, I stoped by SPPC to pick up some topper blend and saw the pipes you made it's the same one's you got here in the pics awesome pipes. I like the one with the long shank real blond color very nice oh and also your pipe bags thats nice to. keep up the good work.

ALOHA
Ray
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool work bud! I love the first and the third. The first one looks like a Vesz tear drop. Very schnazzy. Was that what you were going for? Very nice wood too.

The ladel is a cool shape. At first I wasn't sure whether it was drilled like a horn, or like a billiard. The long narrow tobacco chamber of a horn like pipe would be really cool on that shape. Tricky drilling though.

The inscription on the volcano is cool too. I've ben toying with carving a bit on my pipe, but my penmanship is so aweful that I haven't tried it. Honestlyu what I wanted to do is inscribe a haiku on the interior of the bowl. (I want to call my pipes Haiku Pipes.) But that seems challenging on its own. Add in bad writing, and it seems darn near impossible. Plus I'm a bad speller. God knows that I'd eventually misspell somthing. LOL.

Anyway, very cool pipes!! Nice work.
aaron

Thanks for the compliments.

Post by aaron »

Hey everyone, Thanks for the replies. I think I am doing well for the few pipes I have made.

Ray- Are you going to SPPC for pipe night this week? It is on wednesday night, and there is a smoking contest. I am making a pipe to give away as one of the prizes. I hope to see you there. Fun starts at 6 and lasts until closing (9).

Nick, I like the idea of your inscriptions, but that sounds equally hard to me. the greatest thing of the Japanese writings was that I can use a bit for my dremmel that is easy to maneuver. The one I used looks like a little skil saw blade. I have very shaky hands, so I do not like to use the normal carving bits.
RAY

Post by RAY »

WOW sounds like fun, the winner sure is gonna be a lucky smoker!!! to get one of your awesome pipes. I'll try and make it to the shop on Wed mahalo's for the invite.

Ray
aaron

Post by aaron »

That is great. Jaden will be there, and I am sure a good time will be had by all (it usually is). HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE. Ray- do you also make pipes?
RAY

Post by RAY »

I'm on my first pipe

Ray
aaron

Post by aaron »

That's great, bring it along wednesday, we would love to see.