Las Vegas 2011

Discussions about pipe shows, pipe seminars, tobacco shows, trade shows, etc. All sizes, shapes, and countries.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Las Vegas 2011

Post by NathanA »

In an effort to sell a few pipes so I can afford to keep making some more, I have registered for a table at the west coast pipe show in Las Vegas November 5th and 6th. Last year I went to my first show as an observer and was lucky enough to meet and talk to Bruce, Todd J and Simeon.

Who is going to be there this year either at a table or just looking? I would love to meet anyone who might make it.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Las Vegas 2011

Post by baweaverpipes »

NathanA wrote:In an effort to sell a few pipes so I can afford to keep making some more, I have registered for a table at the west coast pipe show in Las Vegas November 5th and 6th. Last year I went to my first show as an observer and was lucky enough to meet and talk to Bruce, Todd J and Simeon.

Who is going to be there this year either at a table or just looking? I would love to meet anyone who might make it.
I'm going and have requested to have a table at least 25 meters from NapalmA and as far from eRemarkable as possible.
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I'll be there. First pipe show ever! I have a table too :)
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

baweaverpipes wrote: I'm going and have requested to have a table at least 25 meters from NapalmA and as far from eRemarkable as possible.
You exude wisdom my friend.

I'll be there!
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Glad to hear it everyone. Bruce, I expect a thorough dressing down of my pipes, my personality, my personal hygiene and anything else that comes to mind. I know you won't disappoint. :D
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

NathanA wrote:Glad to hear it everyone. Bruce, I expect a thorough dressing down of my pipes, my personality, my personal hygiene and anything else that comes to mind. I know you won't disappoint. :D
Actually, I suspect he will disappoint. Bruce is about as nice a guy as you could meet. He just doesn't type well and it makes him sound mean. :P

As for the show, I'm a far-fetched hopeful. Vegas makes it's comfortable living on irrational optimism though, so I'm trying to play that part.

Tyler
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I'll be there. I requested that my table be right next to Bruce, as I'm hoping I'll look better by being in close proximity to such hillbillyishness.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I wish I could come.. personally I'd like to actually meet some of you.

James
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Tyler wrote:Actually, I suspect he will disappoint. Bruce is about as nice a guy as you could meet. He just doesn't type well and it makes him sound mean.

As for the show, I'm a far-fetched hopeful. Vegas makes it's comfortable living on irrational optimism though, so I'm trying to play that part.
Oh, I know that. I was lucky enough to meet him last year and he couldn't have been nicer. I was just trying to protect his reputation.

As far as the show, Tyler, get off that fence!! :lol: You definitely need a debut show after your hiatus.

How about a little online support for Tyler making it to Vegas? Come on guys lets push him in that direction.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

NathanA wrote: How about a little online support for Tyler making it to Vegas? Come on guys lets push him in that direction.
Yeah Tyler, I'd love to meet you!
andrew

Post by andrew »

So is it customary to show up and watch the first time you go to a pipe show (as opposed to showing up with a load of pipes)?

How many pipes do people typically show up with? I'm guessing it varies quite a bit, but is there a number that if I showed up with would not ellicit snickers from the peanut gallery? I know someone is gonna tell me to bring an whole integer of pipes (that's engineering humor, it's sad, I know :roll: ; my kind are not known for their wit :oops: ).
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

andrew wrote:So is it customary to show up and watch the first time you go to a pipe show (as opposed to showing up with a load of pipes)?

How many pipes do people typically show up with? I'm guessing it varies quite a bit, but is there a number that if I showed up with would not ellicit snickers from the peanut gallery? I know someone is gonna tell me to bring an whole integer of pipes (that's engineering humor, it's sad, I know :roll: ; my kind are not known for their wit :oops: ).
Bring a load of pipes!

But don't forget your tuxedo. :)

Seriously, bring your pipes. It's the only place you'll have a chance for hands on critique.

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

andrew wrote:So is it customary to show up and watch the first time you go to a pipe show (as opposed to showing up with a load of pipes)?

Show up with as many as you have. No one will laugh.

It'll be the best thing I think anyone could do for their pipe making. Get them all critiqued, and sell what you can. In that vein, I think I'll start another thread on selling.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I think the most I've had so far is 7... granted Rad makes fun of me relentlessly, but you'll have at least one ally. Just bring what you can, and you'll get some useful feedback - as you know, holding a pipe is very different than seeing pics.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I'm planning to go. I haven't offered any pipes for sale on my site this year so I can take the few pipes I've made.
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Post by jjpipes »

Planing on coming hope to see ya all.

Steve
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

So is it customary to show up and watch the first time you go to a pipe show (as opposed to showing up with a load of pipes)?

How many pipes do people typically show up with? I'm guessing it varies quite a bit, but is there a number that if I showed up with would not ellicit snickers from the peanut gallery?
Bring your pipes (even if you don't have a table)! Be aware though, that the established makers in the room are there first to interact with and sell pipes to their customers, so try not to monopolize their time/space! :P

One of the best things that happened to me was spending time with Jeff Burt-Gracik at the Vegas show last year. The time spent critiquing half a dozen pipes in person was the equivalent of having 50 pipes critiqued online via pictures.

If you come wanting to get some solid criticism, here is my advice: First, have some specific questions in mind that you would like someone to address with you. It's far easier to have some real takeaway points if you had some specific things you were looking for in the first place. For example, "what do you think of my pipes" will not nearly be as helpful to you as "how do you feel about my slot work, and what can I do to make it better."

Second (and most important) bring your thickest skin. Jeff asked me what my intended trajectory was in pipe making, and when I told him "I wanna make pipes like yours" he told me exactly what I needed to hear in order to point myself in that direction. What he told me did not warm the cockles of my heart...it was brutal, honest, constructive criticism. In public. With other makers, vendors, and major figures in the industry sitting at the table with us. :shock: The pipes I have made since then have been leaps and bounds beyond the ones before hand (not to mention since I spent time with him at his shop), but only because he was willing to tell me like it was. Be ready for that...unless your intended trajectory is just to make a pipe now and then to smoke with your buddies, I imagine most makers will offer critiques with the gloves still on. It just depends what your goals are.

Of course, if you ask Rad for a critique, he will probably just growl at you and grumble under his breath curmudgeonly...but that's cause he's a meanie. :P

Looking forward to seeing folks in a couple weeks. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com