Pipe Making T-Shirts

The place to make announcements of interest to the Forum members.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

jeff wrote:How about a blueprint style image of a pipe, but perhaps in a Gray's Anatomy kind of style, you know, like da Vinci's image of the guy w/ arms outstretched. And something simple underneath like, "Pipe Anatomy" or something better. Let's get a move on this though. We might be able to have them by Chicago of this year instead of 2010.

Jeff
I never thought of us all sporting this up in Chicago. That would be cool! The idea of a blue print is growing on me. But the "pipe anatomy" ties into an idea I've had for a pipe so you all may be inadvertantly advertising for me! :lol:
flea1

Post by flea1 »

I think it should be an image with that statue of the guy thinking (i think it is called the "Thinker" :dunno: ....the one where the guy is sitting and resting his head on his hand). Anyway the shirt could have that statue with a pipe in his mouth and at the bottom it could read "The Sophisticated Smoker" :thumb:

or

It could be a big fat naked bearded guy standing puffing on a pipe and at the bottom it could read "The Burly Smoke" :P
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well, who was it who drew those cool blueprint type sketches a while back??
stammam

off the peg stems: be off!

Post by stammam »

Off off the peg stems.
Turn your own tenons!

Off the peg stems: be off!
I turn my own tenons.

As probably most amateur (and many pro?) pipemakers I started out with working a kit. However, it wasn’t until I hand cut my first stem that I really felt like making a pipe / my pipe.
The process of cutting one’s own stems is, to me, indicative of “real pipe making”: the stem is an important physical link in any pipe construction and stem work a critical factor in its success. Indeed, because of that, the stem cutting process bears almost philosophical significance to me:
Real freedom” in pipemaking comes only with cutting ones own stems. Until one starts doing his/her own stemwork, proper pipe construction / design is always subject to constraints other than what in the last 30 years or so (the emergence of the Danish “paradigm”?) has become a fundamental characteristic of a well crafted pipe: a holistic pipe design / construction based on the consideration of (block) grain in order to bring forth its full (and hopefully unique) beauty. To construct / design a pipe in this manner, whilst properly integrating the stem in terms of both flow and functional characteristics, one can hardly do without hand cutting stems.
In essence thus, to me, hand cutting ones own stems, not only “separates the men from the boys” but also bears reference to a mode of pipe production I think most of us here prefer: “true”, self-reliant, from the scratch, free, low yield / high quality pipemaking where the block, heart and mind are the only dictates.

p.s. english is my second language. I, therefore, hope no unwanted double entendres (other than the deliberate peg / tenon & off / off) have slipped in there without my notice…

...and, of course, any less poetic / more direct (and understandable?) variation of the theme by a native speaker shall be more than welcome!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I really like jeffs idea of the da vinci model.

Maybe a sketch of a pipe in a similar style as Da Vinci's sketchbook drawings.
Last edited by ArtGuy on Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I went ahead and did a quickie 3 minute sketch of a pipe just to see what you guys thought of having something with this sort of drawing style on the shirt. This could be cleaned up in areas and such but anyhow.....

We could come up with some sort of logo or slogan to go over the top and bottom perhaps or something. I envision it going along with some sort of text. Perhaps a group of sketches on the same page maybe? I dunno, I just thought I would throw it out there.
Last edited by ArtGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magruder

Post by magruder »

How about a small band of inages that run horz. below the main image area. Or across the shoulders in back:

Like the well known Evolution of Man progression from monkey (or earlier) to upright Homospns.

it could go like-
Bush (Erica Aborea), burl, block, rough sawn shape, finished shape,
and finally pipe in smiling mans' mouth w/ wisp of smoke.
It could all be done in solid color silhouette style.

I can whip this out it a few minutes in PS.

I think most folks are clueless and a bit fascinated when they find out the progression a pipe makes.

If there is real interest in this, I'll be glad to create it and send it to the appropriate person (s).
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool thoughts Stammam!

I like the Da Vinci thing too. Johns, your sketch ius awesome. I can't wait to see what you all come up with. Count me in for at least one or two shirts.

PS: will they come in kids sizes too?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Great idea Steve! If you want to whip something up as a rough draft, I'd love to see it. John is also working something up. Maybe we could incorporate the two, or perhaps just offer a choice of two designs.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I like both of those ideas as well... The only thing I'd change is if John's could have some measurements in it to re-inforce the fact that it's a "blue print" and not just a drawing, ya know?
jeff

Post by jeff »

What if you don't measure anything in your designs?

:)
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

quite repeating yourself! We heard you the first time... geeze!

I don't use measurements either (not in the drawings that is)... I just thought that the intent would be more clear. If people see your t-shirt and then later get upset that you are not using measurements on your drawings you can send them to me! :thumb:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Maybe if it was done on some sort of grid background? That would reinforce the technical aspects of the drawling and still keep those non-measuring folks happy.

Speaking on non-measuring folks, where has Todd been lately?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Todd...hmmm....oh yeah, wait he ascended to the ranks of the stinky changers! I am sure he is spending his fair share of time performing parental chores.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I just saw this pic on Peter Klein's website:

ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I updated the sketch in my previous post with a better one....
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I like it!
jeff

Post by jeff »

John,

The new sketch is excellent. I say we go with it and nix the measurement idea. Now Tyler is going to need a snazzied-up logo for the shirts (and the site)!

Jeff
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Nick wrote:Speaking on non-measuring folks, where has Todd been lately?
46 days, 23 hours, 24 minutes, and 19 pipes to go.

Todd

P.S. Thanks for noticing guys.