First pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ClaytonClaw

First pipe

Post by ClaytonClaw »

This was the best picture i managed to take and its still not focused. Oh well, you can see the shape.

It's pretty unsymetrical and I didnt have proper tools for buffing. But I'm pretty satisfied.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nice first pipe. Light it up and enjoy! No worries with the buffing, it looks good. It's similar to the finish on a Stanwell Majestic, so that can't be all bad. Maybe if you keep at it, you can eventually buy buffing equipment and compounds and touch this pipe up. But for now, sit back and enjoy your first smoke out of the first pipe created by your own hands!

Jeff :D
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

There is nothing wrong with that pipe. That is a great first pipe. I second Jeff's idea of sitting back and firing that thing up. Bask in the glow of the burning tobacco and your accomplishment.

Congratulations on your first creation! Very nice!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

I agree with the others. great 1st Pipe. enjoy.
JMB
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice pipe indeed. I like the transition from shank to bowls. Did you do it all by hand? It looks very round. Hard to do.

What's your next pipe?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I like the pipe!~ I can't see too many symmetry problems from that shot you displayed. You combined 2 attractive things in this pipe, IMO: A nice forward slant on the "left" side (according to the this image) of the bowl & a good sharp transition from bowl to shank.
marks

Post by marks »

Very nice for a first pipe! Keep up the good work.
ClaytonClaw

Post by ClaytonClaw »

Thanks for all the comments. :)

The symmetry problem i was talking about doesnt show on this photo, the bowl around the chamber isnt circular, its oval. Although I did see this pretty early on but I didnt bother fixing it, I thought it looked fine, but now its kinda bothering me. But over all im happy.

Cant wait for my ordered briar to arrive.
jeff

Post by jeff »

No harm in hitting it with the sander to take care of the problem and refinishing it. If it's bothering you, do it. If you can live w/o it changed, that's fine. In any case, you should be proud that you're smoking a briar that YOU carved! Good luck with the next pipes.

Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Well done Clayton! Thanks for posting your work.

I concurr with everyone else. It is a very nice first pipe. Smoke and enjoy...there is nothing quite like smoking the first pipe that you have made.

Keep it up!

Tyler
abbeypipes

new pipe

Post by abbeypipes »

compared to the first pipe I made you are way ahead of me,the more pipes you make the better you will get,any snags can be discussed here
good luck