Ready for Spoon Bits?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
ToddJohnson

Re: Ready for Spoon Bits?

Post by ToddJohnson »

Do not buy the Lamb bits for hand drilling. They do not have a backside cutting relief, and they generate a dangerous amount of friction in the chamber. I can see where they would be fine if you're using them from the tailstock, but using them in the spinning headstock while you're holding the pipe in your hands is dangerous. They can be made to work, and I've been waiting for several months for Ken to get back to me so I can help him get them right, but as I said, I'm still waiting. Ken, if you're reading this, you should have my number. For me, these are a third set, so it's not like I'm SOL, but if they were my only set, I still wouldn't be willing to use them. Ken's tools are carefully and professionally machined, they are very sharp and precise, and it's clear he wants to make great tools. The problem is that he's making tools he doesn't know how to use, and so he doesn't know how they should work--or whether or not they do work. Brad is fortunate to know how the tools should perform and is therefore able to test them first.

TJ
Leus

Post by Leus »

Just got mine from Brad. Don't understand what's that relief you talk about.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I'm still waiting for Brad to get back to me about any extra materials he might have after the last run :( I want a Pohlbit!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Leus wrote:Just got mine from Brad. Don't understand what's that relief you talk about.
Brads are cut at 51% and do not require a backside relief--although the one I have cuts better now that I've put one on it. A backside relief is basically just a relief ground all the way around the hemisphere of the bit, stopping about 1/8" from the edge. I always leave a "spine" down the center so that the bit is basically touching in three places. This will still allow it to self-track, but you do not have the friction of continuous and complete surface contact from the backside of the bit. This can be especially troublesome on a bullnose, rather than continuously tapered bit. The best design I've found, however is a faceted bit with a backside relief. At the depth of each facet--which is about 1/3 of 1 degree (with a total of 5 on a 3" bit)--the bit is allowed to "breathe" a little. Once the chamber is cut, the "facets" are neither visible nor tactile. I'd like to do a run of them, but they're so expensive to have made, and I just don't have the time. I'm still trying to find time just to grind the S&D bits!

TJ
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

ToddJohnson wrote:Do not buy the Lamb bits for hand drilling. They do not have a backside cutting relief, and they generate a dangerous amount of friction in the chamber. I can see where they would be fine if you're using them from the tailstock, but using them in the spinning headstock while you're holding the pipe in your hands is dangerous. They can be made to work, and I've been waiting for several months for Ken to get back to me so I can help him get them right, but as I said, I'm still waiting. Ken, if you're reading this, you should have my number. For me, these are a third set, so it's not like I'm SOL, but if they were my only set, I still wouldn't be willing to use them. Ken's tools are carefully and professionally machined, they are very sharp and precise, and it's clear he wants to make great tools. The problem is that he's making tools he doesn't know how to use, and so he doesn't know how they should work--or whether or not they do work. Brad is fortunate to know how the tools should perform and is therefore able to test them first.

TJ
Yea, I had a little scare with one of Ken's Bits. I am sending them back. There is no way I am using those as is.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Leus

Post by Leus »

Well, a few moments ago I went to test the bits on a scrap piece of briar, and I barely managed to scratch it. Do I need to do something special to them? Should I "sharpen" them a bit more? Do I have some special brand of super-hard briar, just like others have smelly ebonite?

Any tips?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Leus wrote:Well, a few moments ago I went to test the bits on a scrap piece of briar, and I barely managed to scratch it. Do I need to do something special to them? Should I "sharpen" them a bit more? Do I have some special brand of super-hard briar, just like others have smelly ebonite?

Any tips?
Are you using the tail stock to help 'push' the briar? From my understanding (and I admit I may be wrong) you are only steadying the briar with one hand and the other is turning the wheel on the tailstock to move the briar on the X axis.
BDP

Post by BDP »

Leo,

Did you drill a pilot hole first? Have you ever free-hand drilled before? A pilot hole must be drilled first... and you need to reshape your pilot drill lead edges so the pilot drill doesn't grab the wood out of your hands, or worse... spoon bits do not drill from a flat surface; they open up a pre-existing hole to the contour of the bit......

Brad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Leus wrote:Well, a few moments ago I went to test the bits on a scrap piece of briar, and I barely managed to scratch it. Do I need to do something special to them? Should I "sharpen" them a bit more? Do I have some special brand of super-hard briar, just like others have smelly ebonite?

Any tips?
First, I drill a 3/16" (I think) to find the air hole. Then an approx. 7/16" pilot hole is drilled. The 7/16 bit has been modified to not grab with the point deliberately contoured not to grab. It will NOT drill beyond my pilot hole. All of this takes about 2 minutes. Now I can use the excellently made BDPhohdancer spoon bit.
Of note: For a liberal twirp from OR and a left wing nincompoop, the guy makes a fine spoon bit.
BDP

Post by BDP »

Mr. Greenjeans, you are a nincompoop!

Oregon Hillbilly
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

BDP wrote:Mr. Greenjeans, you are a nincompoop!

Oregon Hillbilly
There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING worse than a liberal. I take that back--a liberal hillbilly is worse.

Sincerely,

Todd M. Johnson
Member, ACLU
Member, NAACP
Member, Democratic Party
Owner, Camo Pants
Owner, John Deere Trucker Hat
Owner, 2 Pairs Overalls
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

How bout a liberal Sasquatch booby?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:How bout a liberal Sasquatch booby?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think it would be difficult to mate a liberal Sasquatch with a Booby, but if you want to try, I think you should go for it. If Chef was able to get a pig to "make sweet love" with a chicken, I don't see why this couldn't work.

TJ
sam a

Post by sam a »

those activist sasquatches look quite menacing. i'm gonna have to stop using my palm oil pipe finish.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Yay! 4mm pilot hole it is then. Will let you know how it went.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Veni, vidi, vinci.

I think one of the walls got too thin, but I'm really pleased. Will post pictures later.

Thank you guys!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

ToddJohnson wrote:

Oregon Hillbilly
There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING worse than a liberal. I take that back--a liberal hillbilly is worse.

Sincerely,

Todd M. Johnson
Member, ACLU
Member, NAACP
Member, Democratic Party
Owner, Camo Pants
Owner, 2 Pairs Overalls
You own two pairs of overalls? I'm sorry, but I'm just not sure I can take you seriously anymore.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

UberHuberMan wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:

Oregon Hillbilly

Sincerely,

Todd M. Johnson
Member, ACLU
Member, NAACP
Member, Democratic Party
Owner, Camo Pants
Owner, 2 Pairs Overalls
You own two pairs of overalls? I'm sorry, but I'm just not sure I can take you seriously anymore.
Uberdude,
Don't dismiss overalls. Everyone on the planet should own a pair. They are utilitarian, comfortable, practical, last forever and are true American. Not to mention, virtually every pair of overalls have my loop and slide on the gallus. Go purchase a pair of Carhartt overalls and you'll thank me later!
buster

Post by buster »

Liberal hillbilly? All of my education comes from what I see on tv and the internet, and I can't even begin to imagine what that would look like. Pics?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

UberHuberMan wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:

Oregon Hillbilly

Sincerely,

Todd M. Johnson
Member, ACLU
Member, NAACP
Member, Democratic Party
Owner, Camo Pants
Owner, 2 Pairs Overalls
Of course he has two pairs. One full length and one cut-offs for the warmer months.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com