Ready for Spoon Bits?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: Ready for Spoon Bits?

Post by jogilli »

I guess your're the only one on the forum that doesn't know Nate... it's Nestle Quick mix... but don't tell anybody I told you

james
Nate

Post by Nate »

jogilli wrote:I guess your're the only one on the forum that doesn't know Nate... it's Nestle Quick mix... but don't tell anybody I told you

james
Oooohhhh, I see. I just have to fight the Nestle rabbit to get some. Thanks for the heads-up and your secret, well Mr. Weaver's secret, is safe with me. *wink*
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

jogilli wrote:I guess your're the only one on the forum that doesn't know Nate... it's Nestle Quick mix... but don't tell anybody I told you

james
I hear that stuff is toxic.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

UberHuberMan wrote:

james
I hear that stuff is toxic.

I heard it was a key ingredient in meth.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

I love these bits!!!! :D
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Almost look like a professional made them ;)
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote:Almost look like a professional made them ;)
I know!!! :D
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Nate wrote:
Nate!! You are grand and hilarious. So many exclamation points recently!!!!! ;)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

UberHuberMan wrote:
Nate wrote:
Nate!! You are grand and hilarious. So many exclamation points recently!!!!! ;)
I have no idea what you're talking about??!!!!!
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

I tweeted the arrival of mine today.

https://twitter.com/TalbertPipes/status ... 1983473664

Going to try them out tomorrow as soon as I get this current site update posted.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
mredmond
Site Supporter

Ready for Spoon Bits?

Post by mredmond »

I don't yet have the ability to freehand drill pipes, but I bought the set because I'm trying to collect quality tools when I can, and I know eventually I'll be able to freehand drill...looking ahead, and whatnot. That said, I have a question for you guys that are familiar with using spoon bits, which I have not used before. Is there any reason I shouldn't use these for the drill first method? Seems like they would work fine, but better safe than sorry.

Micah
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

mredmond wrote:I don't yet have the ability to freehand drill pipes, but I bought the set because I'm trying to collect quality tools when I can, and I know eventually I'll be able to freehand drill...looking ahead, and whatnot. That said, I have a question for you guys that are familiar with using spoon bits, which I have not used before. Is there any reason I shouldn't use these for the drill first method? Seems like they would work fine, but better safe than sorry.

Micah
Yes.

The point of this bit design is the half-round back. It keeps things from wobbling and getting off track when holding the pipe in your hand.

I've never tried, but I suspect that in a drill press it would serve only to make for a very inefficient cut that generated a lot of excess heat without adding any benefit. The rigidity of the tool prevents the wandering with standard methods.

I'm sure you could pull it off, but I'm pretty sure it would be a vastly inferior result and experience than if you use "normal" bits.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I wouldn't risk dulling those bits on day to day drilling unless you have the ability to sharpen them easily. I'm not sure what that would take.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Being the non-lathe person here who does ALL drilling on a drill press, I'll try to answer your question. Yes, you can use BP bits on a press. I have drilled somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-200 pipes with the last set of bits BP made. I also have and use several Lamb bits. The only thing that determines which bit I use is the final hole that bit will create and the amount of adjusting I have to do to use a short BP or a long Lamb bit. I've even done several shape first pipes using the drill press, (by holding the block in a vise, [the finished product is the same], I wouldn't advise holding it in your hand unless you don't need the hand). Frankly, I don't understand the advantage of the shape first method other than it's a great talking/selling point, i.e., since I shape first my pipes are far superior to your drill first pipes. I prefer the drill first method and don't think that would change if for some strange reason I ever decided to use a lathe. bob gilbert
mredmond
Site Supporter

Ready for Spoon Bits?

Post by mredmond »

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I should clarify. I'm using a wood lathe, not a drill press. My understanding is that "safe" freehand drilling needs to happen at a slower speed than a wood lathe will operate. I don't think that will change any answers, but I thought I'd throw it out there, if it does. What really prompted the question is the BP set has some different sizes and profiles than the bits I currently have, so I thought it might be nice to use them from time to time. I'm not worried about dulling or if it's most effective, I was more concerned with safety. More feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

Micah
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

mredmond wrote:Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I should clarify. I'm using a wood lathe, not a drill press. My understanding is that "safe" freehand drilling needs to happen at a slower speed than a wood lathe will operate. I don't think that will change any answers, but I thought I'd throw it out there, if it does. What really prompted the question is the BP set has some different sizes and profiles than the bits I currently have, so I thought it might be nice to use them from time to time. I'm not worried about dulling or if it's most effective, I was more concerned with safety. More feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

Micah
Slower is better, but I have used my wood lathe to drill by hand.

I'd grind a new $2 spade bit before I used these though, but that's me.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Ready for Spoon Bits?

Post by mredmond »

Thanks, Tyler. I have some bits from Rudat and Lamb, so I don't need to use the BP bits yet. I appreciate everyone's advice. I might get brave and try them or I might just wait until a metal lathe follows me home. I'll figure that out when they arrive.

Micah
mredmond
Site Supporter

Ready for Spoon Bits?

Post by mredmond »

I've got a teeny tiny little Unimat metal lathe that might work for freehand drilling, too. I'll test it out on some scrap. I've really got to start saving my money for a bigger metal lathe...
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I was gonna go try freehand drilling a pipe just now- all I've got is a Tim West spade bit, will I have trouble drilling with that profile? Should I make I modify another bit on my grinder?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I wouldn't suggest that. On top of being unsafe it will be hard to he the block steady without getting chatter. The chamber will end up looking more like a star with faceted chatter marks. That's my theory anyway.