Morta/Bamboo/Corn Cob/Meerschaum Calabash

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

Morta/Bamboo/Corn Cob/Meerschaum Calabash

Post by billiard »

All,

I made this a long time ago and I post this PURELY for your amusement.

Some of you might remember it from a year or two ago when I posted it on SF in a now defunct sub forum they had. Let me state that again: I post this only hoping to bring a smile to your faces!

As some of you know, for about a year's length of time, ending I don't know maybe a year ago, I was making custom cobs. Honestly there is only so much you can do, and even less than that a sane person would want to do, with corn cobs. I made all the standard derivations such as churchwarden, nosewarmer, bent, straight, pokers, full bents, etc and then got bored and started making cob versions of artisan pipes. I made a standing cavalier and a Witchfinger on cob as an example. Just like I now do with briar pipes it was pure and simple me just having fun in my garage and in the case of the below usually drinking some hard apple cider too :)

Eventually I went to briar and I had almost forgotten about this one as the pieces have long since been removed and either reused, tossed, or put back in their original pipe (e.g. the meer bowl) however something made me think of it again so I hunted down the only two pics I could find.

This was a Proof of Concept of something I thought up, it was just me seeing if it was possible and I thought at the time that if I ever kept at it long enough to develop the skills I would circle back and do it again.

So without further ado I give you the (from left to right) lucite, morta, bamboo, morta, corn cob, meerschaum, calabash:

I hope it brought a smile to a few of your faces, because I know it brought a cringe to a few as well...

Cheers friends,
Billiard

and that's all I got to say about that :D
smokindawg

Re: Morta/Bamboo/Corn Cob/Meerschaum Calabash

Post by smokindawg »

Pretty damn unusual. But cool as well. :lol: <~~~~~ Showing my amusement! How did you get the bamboo drilled to where it would smoke?
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That my friend is a Bamboompaul.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
billiard

Post by billiard »

smokindawg wrote:Pretty damn unusual. But cool as well. :lol: <~~~~~ Showing my amusement! How did you get the bamboo drilled to where it would smoke?
Thanks Steve :)

I'll be honest, I wasted far, far, too much money and time tearing up bamboo sticks trying to figure out how to both bend and drill them. This project turned into a really big cost and time sink for something that was just a proof of concept. I did work it out a bit though and she smoked well when done, but it would take both time and sticks to repeat it (neither I readily have). So I am waiting on my briar skills to get a little more developed before working again with bamboo fashioned like this as it just is not worth the money\time investment unless I can pull of the rest of the pipe. Someday though...
Sasquatch wrote:That my friend is a Bamboompaul.
Thanks, I like that! I have always referred to it as my "Cob-A-Bash" :D
TallazPiper

Post by TallazPiper »

How in the world did you drill the bamboo?