Smoking?

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Nate

Re: Smoking?

Post by Nate »

Murray's MM965 in a Tinsky billiard.
andrew

Post by andrew »

frog morton on the bayou in one of my own creations.
Dane C

Post by Dane C »

Frog Morton and Navy Flake in the pipe and Acid Kuba Kuba cigars.
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

C&D's Haunted Bookshop in the first pipe I ever made (green smooth trim with black/chocolate rustication)
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

OK, so im pretty sure i suck at this pipe smoking thing. I bought some McClelland Personal Reserve, St. James Woods.
I cant seem to keep it lit and pretty much burnt the front of my tongue trying. Is there some technique to this pipe smoking thing? :banghead:
Nate

Post by Nate »

IR DG in a Sav Saturina bent dublin
Nate

Post by Nate »

Boekweg wrote:OK, so im pretty sure i suck at this pipe smoking thing. I bought some McClelland Personal Reserve, St. James Woods.
I cant seem to keep it lit and pretty much burnt the front of my tongue trying. Is there some technique to this pipe smoking thing? :banghead:
There is definitely a technique to smoking. I haven't smoked St. James, but if I remember right that is a fairly tough one to smoke. I hope to try it as I've heard it's quite nice.
GastonI

Post by GastonI »

Mac Baren : Cube

and omg! this time no bite :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

GastonI wrote:Mac Baren : Cube

and omg! this time no bite :D
Awesome!

IR DG in a Mario Grandi poker.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Nate wrote:There is definitely a technique to smoking. I haven't smoked St. James, but if I remember right that is a fairly tough one to smoke. I hope to try it as I've heard it's quite nice.
Thats it? thats all i get? what about the technique? what am i doing wrong? :(
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Could be wet tobacco or a poorly packed bowl (doesn't stay light). Could be you're smoking too fast making the smoke hot (tongue bit).

Look on YouTube for pipe smoking videos. Video is way better than typing.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Boekweg wrote:Thats it? thats all i get? what about the technique? what am i doing wrong? :(
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe ... techniques
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Smoking some Old Joe Krantz in a bob gilbert nose burner bulldog at 2:45AM.
Nate

Post by Nate »

staffwalker wrote:Smoking some Old Joe Krantz in a bob gilbert nose burner bulldog at 2:45AM.
Wait, nose burner? Isn't it supposed to be a nose warmer or did something go horribly awry? :D

Just popped a tin of Balkan by Brebbia, smoking in a Sav Toscana bent pot.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I was smoking some Royal Cajun Dark while teaching my son to ride his bike in the park (the rhyme is disturbing and unintentional). I got some funny looks from some moms in the park. I couldn't tell if they were apalled at my pipe or the fact that my kid wasn't wearing a helmet (geez, I was holding onto the seat for crying out loud). I am not very appreciative of nanny laws. Could be one reason I smoke a pipe... 8)
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Yes, nose burner fits, I'm always trying to light my pipe with one hand rather than use two because the other one is holding a pipe I'm working on, so yes, nose burner fits, the nose does oft get singed.
GastonI

Post by GastonI »

Mc Clelland Royal Cajun special
Nate

Post by Nate »

staffwalker wrote:Yes, nose burner fits, I'm always trying to light my pipe with one hand rather than use two because the other one is holding a pipe I'm working on, so yes, nose burner fits, the nose does oft get singed.
I see, makes sense now! Plus with your giant 'pipe snuggie' I guess it would be a 'burner'! :lol:

Brebbia Balkan in a Caminetto Business.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I've learned a few things over the years about fire and beards. Several years back, can't remember but must have been around 2000 to perhaps '03 I was on a trip on my 'soft-tail' model Harley going west on I-20 that cuts Texas from E to W. As I did on all trips, I had padded the sissy-bar so I could lay back against the padding and just reach the throttle on the handlebar with three fingers of my right hand. From this position I couldn't reach the front wheel brake with my left hand, and would have to sit up to do so. In those days I ALWAYS rode with a lit cigar clamped in my mouth. On I-20, down around Ranger TX there is a long very steep hill known locally as Ranger Hill. I used to love it on a Harley because with the hog's almost unlimited power I could hit the left lane and pass everything going up the hill. I could pass the twenty or thirty cars in one fell swoop that I had been forced to lag behind for the last twenty miles. On this day I was laying back against the padding on the bar, just barely holding onto the throttle with three fingers of my right hand, my right foot up on top and lying across the gas tank, (yes, I know that isn't smart but I used to oft times ride like that), I've got a blazing cigar in my mouth and wind sparks are flying freely. As I start up this half mile to three quarter mile long hill I swing into the left lane, crank it up and am soon doing 80mph flowing by everything in sight and of course looking cool. About half way up the hill I have to swing back into the right hand lane to pass a Dodge van filled with a family and a herd of kids. As I pass I notice the kids all pointing and laughing and I think they are just noticing how cool I am, about that time I start to see a lot more smoke than was normally generated by my cigars, not to mention, a horrible smell, something akin to turning Ebonite. That's when I discovered my beard was on fire, not blazing but smoldering quite well. My trying to get my right foot off the gas tank and back down on the peg while at the same time sitting up so I could reach the brake on the handlebar, slow down to pull off the road while not getting run over by morons with four or more wheels apparently was immensely comical. I didn't find it all that funny but all the witnesses flying by did, they were all laughing and cheering. Burned almost the entire right side of my beard off. (While trying to square it back up I wound up cutting it all off down to about 1/2 inch, but that's another story). I didn't learn not to smoke a cigar while riding but I did learn not to put my leg over the gas tank if sparks were flying. From that day forward I never again rode up Ranger Hill without both hands on the bars and both feet on the pegs. bob gilbert
Nate

Post by Nate »

staffwalker wrote:I've learned a few things over the years about fire and beards. Several years back, can't remember but must have been around 2000 to perhaps '03 I was on a trip on my 'soft-tail' model Harley going west on I-20 that cuts Texas from E to W. As I did on all trips, I had padded the sissy-bar so I could lay back against the padding and just reach the throttle on the handlebar with three fingers of my right hand. From this position I couldn't reach the front wheel brake with my left hand, and would have to sit up to do so. In those days I ALWAYS rode with a lit cigar clamped in my mouth. On I-20, down around Ranger TX there is a long very steep hill known locally as Ranger Hill. I used to love it on a Harley because with the hog's almost unlimited power I could hit the left lane and pass everything going up the hill. I could pass the twenty or thirty cars in one fell swoop that I had been forced to lag behind for the last twenty miles. On this day I was laying back against the padding on the bar, just barely holding onto the throttle with three fingers of my right hand, my right foot up on top and lying across the gas tank, (yes, I know that isn't smart but I used to oft times ride like that), I've got a blazing cigar in my mouth and wind sparks are flying freely. As I start up this half mile to three quarter mile long hill I swing into the left lane, crank it up and am soon doing 80mph flowing by everything in sight and of course looking cool. About half way up the hill I have to swing back into the right hand lane to pass a Dodge van filled with a family and a herd of kids. As I pass I notice the kids all pointing and laughing and I think they are just noticing how cool I am, about that time I start to see a lot more smoke than was normally generated by my cigars, not to mention, a horrible smell, something akin to turning Ebonite. That's when I discovered my beard was on fire, not blazing but smoldering quite well. My trying to get my right foot off the gas tank and back down on the peg while at the same time sitting up so I could reach the brake on the handlebar, slow down to pull off the road while not getting run over by morons with four or more wheels apparently was immensely comical. I didn't find it all that funny but all the witnesses flying by did, they were all laughing and cheering. Burned almost the entire right side of my beard off. (While trying to square it back up I wound up cutting it all off down to about 1/2 inch, but that's another story). I didn't learn not to smoke a cigar while riding but I did learn not to put my leg over the gas tank if sparks were flying. From that day forward I never again rode up Ranger Hill without both hands on the bars and both feet on the pegs. bob gilbert
What a story! Exciting is an understatement I believe. I'm glad there was no permanent damage to the beard and it seems to have grown back nicely :) Damn cigars.