Pot with Strand Rustication

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ArtGuy

Pot with Strand Rustication

Post by ArtGuy »

Here is one of the few pipes where I have actually turned the bowl on the lathe. The rustication is what I call "strand" it is done mainly with a wire wheel and brush.

Any comments are welcome, mainly I am just testing my ability to post a pic and poll on here :)

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I like it. It's different than just about any other rustication style I've seen (and noticed). It seems quite unique, and I think that's important in today's world.

One minor (very minor) quibble is that is looks to me like it should be deeper. Maybe that's just a result of the photo, but the pipe above would look *really* nice if the "strands" were deeper and slightly further apart. However, take that with a grain of salt - photos do odd things to textured surfaces, and don't show them well at all.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I like it too.

I'd sure like to see it in person. It is so hard to percieve texture via photos.

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I worked with the lighting a lot to try and show the texture but it is difficult. Here is a view of another pipe with the same finish. This is an early attempt and I now carve it deeper and the lines are more parallel than illustrated here. But I think it should give you an idea.

bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I like the look. I am liking a really well "blended" rustication the more I see it (by blended I mean partly rusticated and partly not)... Can I ask you a seperate question? How do you get the transition from black to stain? Just stain black and sand litely? I really enjoy the look of a pipe (rusticated or not) that has the top of the bowl and maybe a small portion of the sides tastefully blackened (by the creator not a bad torch lighter :) )
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I stained the whole pipe black and let it dry thoroughly. Then Ilightly sand the smooth areas with 400 then 600 grit and buff it well with tripoli followed by white diamond and carnauba.

It gets tricky when you have two colors of stain that you have to blend together. For that I:

1. stain the entire pipe the darker color first. Let it dry then sand the smooth areas to 600 grit.

2. Restain the entire pipe with the lighter color and stain and buff as decribed above. I use both sandpaper and buffing to soften the edge created where the two stains meet. Working on the entire pipe at once also aids in getting the pipe to read as a unified whole and not a patchwork quilt.

Does that make any sense?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

yeah, thanks.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Vey cool bud. The rustication looks very similar to GBD's old Rockroot finish. Both in color and texture. Was this what you were going for?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

To tell you the truth I can't think of what the rock root finish looks like. I came across the idea while removing the bark on the plateaux top of a freehand one day. I just thought to myself "Hmmmm I wonder what it would look like to rusticate a pipe using the wire wheel and some brushes?
Nick

Post by Nick »

I have one at home. Once I get batteries for my cam, I'll take a pic and send it to you if you like?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I looked it up on Google and came up with this

I looks like it may be done in a very similar fashion. My technique looks like it has tighter spacing. Mine tend to have more of the feel of the grooves in a vinyl record LP. I can certainly see the similarities. Just when you thought you have come up with something new eh :)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehe. Yea, now that I look at it, your carves seem much tighter and more regular. Whereas those seem a bit looser in spacing and direction too. Nice finish though.