Third pipe, First Rhodesian!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
smokindawg

Third pipe, First Rhodesian!

Post by smokindawg »

This is the third pipe I made in the new shop. I wanted to make a Rhodesian and after drilling the block, I started shaping. The tool rest moved on me catching the corner of the block and almost pulling it from my jaws. (The ones I made, but they held fast and didn't kill me with a flying block of briar) Upon another look I saw that there was now a crack all the way across the block. I pulled on the two pieces and they came apart leaving what looked like Plateaux on the lower front of the bowl I was shaping. I decided not to toss it and go ahead and finish it, if for nothing more than the practice.

When I was done I found that the block would have had some nice flame grain down the sides and up the shank if not for the accident it may have made a really nice pipe. Of course as I shaped I also found lots of little flaws. But I wanted to stay with an idea that popped into my head when the piece broke off. So I left it smooth and called it "Jekylle and Hyde" My thinking, a great smooth finish with the really bad trying to come out with a wisp of smoke.

Here is what I came up with and as usual, the pipe looks better than the pictures portray. I really need to work on my photography skills.

Pipe Maker in the Making!
smokindawg

Re: Third pipe, First Rhodesian!

Post by smokindawg »

Go ahead, tell me what you really think, although I already know many of it's problems. :cry:
Alden

Post by Alden »

Looks a little chunky to my eye. I'd put her on a beltsander diet, and take her out when shes lost a couple ounces.
It would define more of the lines on the pipe too, which I think is a bit lacking especially around the bottom of the bowl.
I think the freehand nature of the shank works, with its soft curves, and I like the stem a lot, but I think the bottom of the bowl should match the crisp lines of the top of the bowl.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Imo, the pipe needs to lose more briar, or the stem needs to match the bulkiness of the pipe.
Nice effert! :thumbsup:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with the others that it needs more briar removed. I think it could be vastly improved by bringing the sagging bottom up in line with the bottom of the shank, angling the bevel flatter and closer to the ring, and thin the top of the bowl shank transition. I'm not sure how I feel about the freehand style shank and stem on a more traditional looking rhodesian though. With the improvements above it might work better.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Thanks for the thoughts and critiques. I'm with you all, it does need more briar shaved in order to fit the stems smaller size and also to make the lines cleaner.

As said, this is the third from the new shop and only about a dozen into this hobby. So I'm learning and appreciate everyone's help with the things I'm learning.