Why can't my bandsaw cut like this?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
5277a124

Why can't my bandsaw cut like this?

Post by 5277a124 »

This is actually a slightly comical video, and it appears sped up. However, I wish my bandsaw cut like this. See 1 min 40 sec through about 2 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkJWzQ5IQw (If the link doesn't work, just type in Castello Pipes on YouTube)

I have the 9" from Lowes, and that 3/8" blade sure swims when I try to cut briar. Wish I had bought a better one up front.

Jeff
Last edited by 5277a124 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Messer

Re: Why can't my bandsaw cut like this?

Post by Mike Messer »

5277a124 wrote:This is actually a slightly comical video, and it appears sped up. However, I wish my bandsaw cut like this. See 1 min 40 sec through about 2 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkJWzQ5 ... re=related

I have the 9" from Lowes, and that 3/8" blade sure swims when I try to cut briar. Wish I had bought a better one up front.

Jeff
Great reference. :D I love watching pipemaking videos. How the pros can make a pipe in 45 seconds. I think I will make one wearing a Merlin costume, and with a wave of my magic wand I will make a pipe in .2 second.
I have a 12' Craftsman, 3/8" blade, and it works okay. I can cut pretty straight. Draw a line, use good light and magnifying glasses if necessary. Keep the block flat on the table. Keep the dust off the line. Go slow and concentrate on keeping the blade on the line.
I've used a powerful one similar to the one in the video..you could probably saw logs with it. I'm sure you are right, though. The video is speeded up, but you probably wouldn't want to go that fast, anyway..too easy to lose fingers.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

That's a great video. I love watching pipe making videos. Did you see that tub full of discarded stummels? WOW what a waste!!! I am looking into a band saw right now myself. I'm pretty sure i will be spendings between $500.00 to $1,000. No point on buying a piece of crap.
:thumbsup: on the video! :D

PS. I noticed that they only used a band saw, drill press and sander, no lathe. Hmmm... :?:
Massis

Post by Massis »

$1000 boekweg? I bought a 2nd hand bandsaw from Electra Beckum, a subbrand for Metabo. Cuts up to 160mm height, has 2 speeds and all the settings I'll ever need. It cost me €200 (approx. $275).
Two days before I bought it, I allmost bought it's smaller brother, for €175 ($235-240), which would be able to do the job pretty well too.

For $1000, you'll never need a new bandsaw again!
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Well im building up my shop equipment, one piece of machinery at a time. Its not just for pipes, its for wood working in general. At least thats half the shop. The other half is for metal, welding and such. So ya, the band saw needs to be good, strong, durable and last a long time.
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Anyone try the 14" Grizzly bandsaw? I'm wondering if a little step up helps, or if you need to buy a monster to have really good times on the bandsaw. I'm interested to know because I don't have room for the leviathan-sized one I used in wood shop in junior high school. I was looking for the Electra Beckum mentioned above, but had tough luck finding a place to buy online. Anyone have a good link?

Cheers,

Jeff
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@5277a124

Which 14" grizzly are you refering to? there are like 3 or 4, 14" grizzly band saws. And any of those would be just fine for working with briar blocks.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I have a 14" Grizzly band saw with a riser block.

It works great and I have had no significant problems with it.

I do find that it bogs down if I am trying to cut through 8-10 inches of green hard wood.
If I had it to do over I would have gotten the one with the larger motor (1 Hp I think).
I use it this way when I am cutting blanks to turn bowls.

Briar, it cuts like butter.

Keep in mind that the saw blade you use can make a world of difference.
You need to match the blade with the application.

For example, I have found that I need a 1/4" hook tooth blade (4 tpi) for the hard wood application that I spoke of earlier.

For all other cutting I use a 1/2" Wolverine hook tooth blade (3 tpi). It doesn't seem to notice when I put Briar through it.

Todd
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Fellas, as to the first question: Really I would be open to hearing about any 14" Grizzly that cuts through briar like butter. For Todd, I'm tempted to buy the wolverine blade you mentioned (although my max blade width is 3/8") for my humble bandsaw. I wonder if it would make a difference? Or, maybe you can't cruise through briar without a more powerful machine and and wider blade? Lastly and for Todd, which Grizzly do you use if I may ask? If it cuts briar like butter I would like to know which one.

Cheers,

Jeff
taharris

Post by taharris »

This is the Grizzly that I have, except that mine has a 3/4 HP motor instead of the 1HP.

http://grizzly.com/products/G0555

Your band saw may work just fine with Briar if you get a different blade.

A wider blade won't help you any. What you want is a blade with larger and less teeth.

Try a 3 or 4 TPI hook tooth from Wolverine.

Todd
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Todd, thanks for posting the bandsaw you have. I think my blade is about 7-8 tpi. Thanks for detailing that blade and your machine. I'll have to look online because I think there were very limited blades at Lowe's when I went shopping for a new blade last time around. It would be great if a new blade does the trick.

Cheers,

Jeff
taharris

Post by taharris »

Jeff,

In an earlier post I called it a Wolverine blade. Sorry, but I had the wrong scary wild animal. :oops: The blade is called Timber Wolf. Here is a link to a place where you can order custom sizes. They also have standard sizes as well. This is a high quality blade, but I have been told you can get a blade of equal quality for less, but I can't remember from where. All I know is that this is a good quality blade and if you go with 3 or 4 teeth per inch you should see a significant improvement in you ability to cut Briar. Good Luck.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208325 ... -Inch.aspx

Todd
teevee

Post by teevee »

Hi Todd

looking at the timberwolf blade trying to sort out the types

is the hook blade the PC type

thanks

steve
taharris

Post by taharris »

Steve,

Yes, it appears that the PC (positive claw) is their code name for a hook tooth blade. The part number of the one I have is 140184.

Well worth the money in my opinion.

Todd
teevee

Post by teevee »

Thank you

Todd

going to give this blade a try

steve
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Certainly, the Timberwolf blade is worth a try. I haven't found them to be that much better than Olson or Lennox but other people really like them. I think taharris gave you good advice to go with a hook tooth blade. You could do a thorough tune-up to make your saw work better, ie make sure the wheels are coplannar; the tires have a good crown; and that your blade and upper guide are parallel. Woodcraft carries the Olson blades and you can get Lenox blades at http://www.toolcenter.com/BANDSAW_BLADES.html.

Hope this helps,
Jim
teevee

Post by teevee »

thanks everyone

what i have on my bandsaw now is a reg tooth bandsaw blade cuts ok but nothing to write home about

so will give a hook tooth blade a go

steve
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Todd, I will try your exact blade, it looks like it's quality and I don't mind paying for that. Thanks also for clarifying the name, I kept doing searches for wolverine with no luck. :D
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Is yours pink with lace on it? :P
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Todd great advice! Got that blade and installed it today. It literally cut 5-6 times as fast as my previous blade. Always happy to buy a new blade instead of a new saw. Cheers.

Jeff