Quest For Corsican (with pictures and a poll question)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.

Is all Briar the same?

Yes
38%
No
31%
What is Briar?
31%

Total votes: 13

Mike Messer

Re: Quest For Corsican (with pictures and a poll question)

Post by Mike Messer »

baweaverpipes wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:and somewhere in there you started thinking you were the absolute authority.
Gracious, Mike. Rad does not speak BS and I have the highest regard for his work ethic, approach artistically, business model and honesty. He's a straight shooter and you should listen.

Regarding Poul, he's truly gifted, but I don't know if he actually knows where his briar comes from, unless it's where the 100 proof flows freely.
I agree 100% about Rad, except for the listen part, 50-50. 8)

About Poul Ilsted... Well, I don't see any Weaver pipes selling for $25,000.00. :)

Check it:
1. A lot of his pipes at: http://www.pfeifenstudio-frank.de/Pfeif ... ilsted.htm
(don't miss the horn near the bottom of the page, Poul Ilsted 28, 18000.-€)

2. Some Bio at: http://www.danishpipemakers.com/makers/ ... lsted.html

P.S. You and your dad were wrong. A person can be a know-it-all at any age. :lol:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mike Messer wrote:

About Poul Ilsted... Well, I don't see any Weaver pipes selling for $25,000.00. :)
I don't see any Poul Ilsteds selling for $25000 either. I see one priced at that. But what does that have to do with anything? You think it's priced that high because it's Corsican briar? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check out Baldo Baldi. His prices are consistently really, really high, so I bet you can get a lot of good information by googling around on him, because he must know a lot since his prices are so freaking high, and I'm sure you'll find a lot of good, esoteric stuff by researching Baldo Baldi, because his prices are really, really high, and you'll eat it all up and believe every word, because he made a pipe for a POPE! Nobody here's ever done THAT!

Go ahead, Check out Balo Baldi. He doesn't use Corsican briar. He uses briar from Liguria, in Italy, and Province, in southern France. And he MADE ONE FOR A POPE! That means it has to be the best briar in the world, or at least infallible.

P.S. You and your dad were wrong. A person can be a know-it-all at any age. :lol:
Ahem, Yes........yes they can. There's difference between being a person who can speak with a bit of authority because he knows something, and a know-it-all. I am the former, and you are the latter.

Plus, a know-it-all won't listen, because well, they already know it all. I'm sure it's been a problem for you your whole life.

Rad
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Here's something you might want to keep in mind, Rad, and others. For decades, many cutters, master pipemakers, manufacturers, and dealers have touted Corsican Briar to be the finest.
So, now, when a handfull of relatively new pipemakers on pipemakersforum are saying I'm a know-it-all, and I don't know what I'm talking about, or I'm peddling a myth about Corsican, they're saying that about all of the above, too. Ya know what I mean? :)
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mike Messer wrote:Here's something you might want to keep in mind. For decades, many cutters, master pipemakers, manufacturers, and dealers have touted Corsican Briar to be the finest.
So, now, when a handfull of relatively new pipemakers on pipemakersforum are saying I don't know what I'm talking about or I'm peddling a myth about Corsican, they're saying that about all of the above, too. Ya know what I mean? :)
Mike, get your head out of your ass and go to a few pipe shows. There, you will have your eyes opened by folks who've been making pipes for a few decades. All briar is the very finest, just like that Fine Corinthian Leather in the 1975 Chrysler Cordoba Ricardo Montalban used to tout.

What you're talking about above is just marketing. They used to say the same thing about Algerian briar when it was unobtainable, When it became readily available at PME, it just became briar again.

We know what we're talking about, and you don't. :P :P :P

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Mike,
I really don't want to insult you and it's really hard not to lambast you beyond reality, but for heaven's sake!
You are simply becoming insufferable. I guess you are somewhat home bound and not able to speak with other people in person, but rely on the internet. Do you think we are blowing smoke and haven't talked about this with virtually every other pipe maker?
You are such a pain in the ass, it's beyond comprehension.
Regarding my pricing, fuck off! In writing this I have become more than irritated, especially when viewing stupidity of your pricing and your hideous "box with rocks".
You don't have children, do you?
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

baweaverpipes wrote:Mike,
I really don't want to insult you and it's really hard not to lambast you beyond reality, but for heaven's sake!
You are simply becoming insufferable. I guess you are somewhat home bound and not able to speak with other people in person, but rely on the internet. Do you think we are blowing smoke and haven't talked about this with virtually every other pipe maker?
You are such a pain in the ass, it's beyond comprehension.
Regarding my pricing, fuck off! In writing this I have become more than irritated, especially when viewing stupidity of your pricing and your hideous "box with rocks".
You don't have children, do you?
Whut? :lol: Please Bruce, lighten up just a tad. Kurt just lifted my moderation flag, so I can post freely, now, and I don't want to blow it on the first day.

P.S. I'm no more of a "pain-in-the-ass" than you are. I just posted some pictures of some wood I liked, and you guys started hammering away at me. I'm well founded, and all the bullshit in reality can't change that, so lambast your ass off if you must, but I would rather keep it friendly. My first choice. :)
Mike Messer wrote:Here's something you might want to keep in mind, Rad, and others. For decades, many cutters, master pipemakers, manufacturers, and dealers have touted Corsican Briar to be the finest.
So, now, when a handfull of relatively new pipemakers on pipemakersforum are saying I'm a know-it-all, and I don't know what I'm talking about, or I'm peddling a myth about Corsican, they're saying that about all of the above, too. Ya know what I mean? :)
I repeat. Think about it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jeez, I don't check the forum for a couple days, lift the moderation flag on MM, and this happens!

Fight nice, men. :lol:

As an aside I'd like you all to know that you all have been entirely misinformed about briar. Briar is out. Everyone knows that morta is the best smoking pipewood there is, and now that I've entered into an exclusive agreement with Chris Askwith to be the sole US maker with access to it, you all are SOL. Prepare to actually work for a living.

Pffft. Briar. Bitches, please.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
flix

Post by flix »

More importantly, I'm still waiting to hear what the fuss is all about the queen's bottom...
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mike Messer wrote:
And I repeat: You're believing what you want to believe, because you've read a bunch of marketing hype on the web. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I have used and smoked briar from Greece, Algeria, Italy, France and Spain. I can detect no discernible difference other than some briar is cut way better than others. They all taste the same and have the same grain characteristics, and every now and then you get a clunker.

What's your actual experience?

I have no more time for you.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I'm surprised that people are still responding to this thread. Didn't I settle the issue already? Look, it basically comes down to this: I'm the ONLY ONE on the ENTIRE PLANET who knows ANYTHING about briar. However, I have graciously allowed Mike Messer (Emperor of the World) to act as my delegate to the rest of you uneducated lackwits. Therefore, you can stop discussing this and (respectfully) ask Mike if you have any questions. Just be forewarned that arguing with him is simply a waste of your time.

Disambiguation complete.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

In the blue cornerrrrrrrrrrrr

Ernie

The Disambigulitatorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MARKLE!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Nice Art Work, Bruce (Above)
RadDavis wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:
And I repeat: You're believing what you want to believe, because you've read a bunch of marketing hype on the web. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I have used and smoked briar from Greece, Algeria, Italy, France and Spain. I can detect no discernible difference other than some briar is cut way better than others. They all taste the same and have the same grain characteristics, and every now and then you get a clunker.

What's your actual experience?

I have no more time for you.

Rad
Whew, that's a relief. I thought you and me would be banging heads for eternity. :lol:
Well, okay Rad, I don't mean to be sarcastic, but I guess all those cutters, master carvers, manufacturers, dealers, and I forgot collectors for the past 100 years who all swear by Corsican, all were a bunch of hustlers or fools, and I guess you, and a few others here are the only ones who really know the facts. Is that what you would have me believe?
Last edited by Mike Messer on Thu May 26, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mike Messer wrote:
Whew, that's a relief. I thought you and me would be banging heads for eternity. :lol:
Well, okay Rad, I don't mean to be sarcastic, but I guess all those cutters, master carvers, manufacturers, dealers, and I forgot collectors for the past 100 years who all swear by Corsican, all were a bunch of hustlers or fools, and I guess you, and a few others here are the only ones who really know the facts. Is that what you would have me believe?
So,....you have no experience. Just what you've read on the net. Thought so. :wink:

Now I'm gonna watch X-Files.

Rad
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

RadDavis wrote: So,....you have no experience. Just what you've read on the net. Thought so. :wink:

Now I'm gonna watch X-Files.

Rad
Well actually, I have had a few blocks of briar from 5 sources, and one was the Corsican in the nice picture at the beginning of this topic, remember? I guess it's short-term memory loss, Rad. :lol:
The remainder of my sources are the, probably, a hundred or more reputable, experienced sources online, pro, and a few con, like yourself.

You watch that creepy X-Files, shit. It will warp your mind. :roll:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Mike Messer wrote:<snip> ...Well, okay Rad, I don't mean to be sarcastic, but I guess all those cutters, master carvers, manufacturers, dealers, and I forgot collectors for the past 100 years who all swear by Corsican, all were a bunch of hustlers or fools, and I guess you, and a few others here are the only ones who really know the facts. Is that what you would have me believe?
Who? Please give me some concrete evidence because all you have given is conjecture. I have watched your rants on here Mike, and many of them have cluttered the threads. You spout things which in your mind you think are to inform others, or who knows what, but in reality all you do is stir up the pot. I don't care what briar you use, so please desist and post more pictures of your $3M pipes. And I would love to actually meet you at a show, whether you like people or not. I find most people on forums who seem quite abrasive are actually decent in person. Although I'm not sure you are real. I'm not really sure what the point of most of your comments are other than to upset others. You say you don't mean to be sarcastic, but you always are, whether outright or in a backhanded comment or 'compliment'. Truly sad for such a great site. Thanks for your time.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Nate wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:<snip> ...Well, okay Rad, I don't mean to be sarcastic, but I guess all those cutters, master carvers, manufacturers, dealers, and I forgot collectors for the past 100 years who all swear by Corsican, all were a bunch of hustlers or fools, and I guess you, and a few others here are the only ones who really know the facts. Is that what you would have me believe?
Who? Please give me some concrete evidence because all you have given is conjecture. I have watched your rants on here Mike, and many of them have cluttered the threads. You spout things which in your mind you think are to inform others, or who knows what, but in reality all you do is stir up the pot. I don't care what briar you use, so please desist and post more pictures of your $3M pipes. And I would love to actually meet you at a show, whether you like people or not. I find most people on forums who seem quite abrasive are actually decent in person. Although I'm not sure you are real. I'm not really sure what the point of most of your comments are other than to upset others. You say you don't mean to be sarcastic, but you always are, whether outright or in a backhanded comment or 'compliment'. Truly sad for such a great site. Thanks for your time.
Hello, Nate. I could fill this page with references, but I'm too lazy, so just search the internet, pipe dealers, pipe manufacturers, pipemaker sites and search or look for the word "Corsica" You will find it a lot, I promise you. As for your other comments, I think you are slightly off target.
I just posted some pictures of some wood, and if you have the patience to wade through all of the shit, which I doubt you will, then you will have a clue where the problem is.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Not altogether off the subject, but I have a problem. I hate mowing grass, and here's the solution, born and raised in Corsica (I swear it is true). I would like you all to meet...

......."BRUCIE"....... :lol:

P.S. you started it, brucie.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The point of diminishing returns has been reached on this thread. I thank you all for your contribution, now please have a pipe, a drink and some sleep.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com