Egg

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sawdust

Egg

Post by Sawdust »

Hi All
The original idea was to make more of a brandy shape, but there were several flaws that said otherwise. The shank extension is Osage Orange and the detail is Wenge. Let me know what you think.

Jim

taharris

Re: Egg

Post by taharris »

I really like that pipe. You did a nice job.

:thumbsup:
Charl

Post by Charl »

Well done!
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

You are a true craftsman. You became a really great pipe crafter over night. If I ever make just one pipe that looks as nice as this, I will be a happy man! Very handsome pipe indeed!
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I'd prefer a thinner stem, but it's a really, really well made pipe. Nice work.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Ouuuu, now that's a nice pipe in every detail. :)
Last edited by Mike Messer on Fri May 27, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

the shape is really nice .. i like it ...
one thing that i would like to change is the stem - i would like it to be more bent.. only that... :)
(but this is my taste so do not bother to much about it) - the pipe is really nice....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
DrThunder

Post by DrThunder »

the grain on this pipe is beautiful! and I was going to ask if anyone uses wenge for extensions and if that beautiful grain shows up...you answered both questions, great work :)

Josh
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice pipe and very cool design. I especially love the stem design. I think it could be a bit more sleek/slim but it's still good and I think the bend is spot on as far as the degree goes. There appear to be some sharp angles with the bend but not bad. This is due to uneven heating of the stem or bending the stem before you have it thoroughly heated. It happens. I like to do some fine tuning of the stem shape after bending with sand paper to smooth things out. There appear to be some very minute symmetry issues with the bowl from side to side and at the heel but it may just be the photos. Either way, that's being nitpicky. Bear in mind that I tend to critique a pipe to the standard of a Bo Nordh since that's the level of quality we are all aspiring to. Your pipe is outstanding and one of the best I've seen posted as of late. Nice work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Hi Guys,
Thank you for the complements. This was kind of a departure for me in that I wasn't just copying someone else's design, but tried to impart some of my own ideas, so it is really nice to hear that I am headed in the right direction.
tNd wrote:one thing that i would like to change is the stem - i would like it to be more bent..
BeatusLiebowitz wrote:I'd prefer a thinner stem
I agree there is something "off" with the stem. Maybe if it was tortoise shell acrylic I could keep the shape but give it a lighter feel.

@ wdteipen... Thanks, both for your input and complements. Those are some good tips. I had worked on the symetry quite a bit, but this seems to be one of the more difficult things for me. It is amazing how much difference 1/32" can make!

Thanks,
Jim
R.H.

Post by R.H. »

Great pipe, really beautiful. Good job.

Maybe that thing off with the stem is due to the human eye is prone to complete the lines that aren't there, in this case we could be seeing a bulb form in the joint of shank and stem that isn't there.
Last edited by R.H. on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings,

Ramón

Post by Sawdust »

Thanks for the input R.H.. Things tend to look a little different in the photos than in reality, but it could be, as you say.

Thanks,
Jim
mredmond
Site Supporter

Egg

Post by mredmond »

Good work Jim. It's a graceful shape and the stain color works well with the colors on the shank extension. How was the wenge to work with? It's a really pretty wood but every account I've read is that it more less tries to kill you. I'm still a little scared of it.

Micah
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Micah,
Thank you for your comments! I don't think Wenge is any harder to work with than teak or imbuia. It is REAL dense so you need to use sharp tools, which will get dull a little quicker. The worst part about it is that you get a lot of little splinters. I imagine that if you use a crappy blade (HSS with set teeth) or you try to "jam" it through your saw (push it hard enough to slow the blade), then it could get unhappy, but if you use a good blade and some common sense it should be fine.

Hope this helps,
Jim