Second Post-Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LarryG

Second Post-Billiard

Post by LarryG »

Gentlemen,

I went for a billiard this time around. Please let me know what you think. Aside from the small ding on the top right side and the slightly too long stem I am pretty happy with it. Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

Larry

ND Pipes

Re: Second Post-Billiard

Post by ND Pipes »

heyyy - this is a very nice pipe - like the grain a lot... i can live with that stem - no problem :P :P :P :P
keep the good work going :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Thanks. I have been using the premade stems from PIMO and just got my shipment from American Art plastics to start making my own. Was originally going to use it on this one but got scared at the last minute... :oops:
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

The length of the stem look okay to me. The length of the shank to bowl height is a little short, but the longer stem makes it seem okay.

The couple things that stood out to me that could be better was
1) the stem/shank joint (3rd & 4th pics).
2) the bottom of the bowl is lower than the bottom of the shank
ricebiscuit

Post by ricebiscuit »

Larry,
Nice Pipe! I really dig the grain. Nice effort on a billiard. Here are a few things I see-

1) Bowl shape is just a hair to round for my tastes. I think the walls need to be a bit more straight up and down. Kinda chubby I guess.

2) The shank kinda swoops into the bowl. Think of the shank and bowl as two separate forms fit together. You can see this best in your 3rd pic. Tightening up that transition will also help with #1.

3) The shank pinches just a little bit at the bowl. Pictures 2 and 3.

4) I think the shank is a little short for a proper billiard. (Correct me if I am wrong here guys) 1/4" longer?

It looks like you got a pretty good shine on it too. Certainly better than my 2nd pipe!

Hope this helps- Trey

P.S.- Toss those pre-made stems out and dive in to making them. Your stem/shank junction will get a lot better with hand made stems. At least mine did... I never could get those pre made stems to fit right.
Trey Rice

Trey Rice Pipes - www.treyricepipes.com
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Nice pipe there man, looks great, i love the stain and the shine! :thumbsup:
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Mimic the cheeks to the front of the bowl.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Thank you for the compliments and feedback. Now back to the garage for the next attempt.
flix

Post by flix »

Hey Larry,

Very nice effort! One thing that I believe should've been mentioned is that the staining appears uneven. Or, is it the briar? The rim of the bowl looks especially splotchy. If you could get that right, that pipe's finish would really pop, given the nice birdseye.

HTH,

--flix
Charl

Post by Charl »

Ditto to everyhting said above. You're getting there, just have to start work on all these fine details!