P1411 - Thor....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ND Pipes

P1411 - Thor....

Post by ND Pipes »

THOR...

"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Massis

Re: P1411 - Thor....

Post by Massis »

as usual a very beautiful pipe tNd.

However, I feel this is one of your lesser pipes of recent weeks. Here's why:
First of all, I think the bevel on the edge of the bowl is a bit off, is the bowl actually oval, or is it just the angle of the pictures?
Secondly, the narrow smooth part on the back of the stummel (shank-side) is a bit too narrow to my liking. This however, is just taste (which I often lack, or so I'm told).

And finally, some of the transitions from rusticated to smooth parts are very defined, while other edges have some gaps in them, I think this makes the entiry pipe look a bit unfinished.

On the other hand some positive notes: I really like the even rustication, and as usual, you've used a nice mix of materials which works together well to form a complete pipe.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

Massis - thanks for the reply.... :)
first - this pipe was made from a block that was a pure reject... it had 14 errors on it - small, big... i was thinking to trash that block...
second - the block was very very small - other than a classic billiard or pot or similar probably could not be made to have a good functional pipe....
so, i was experimenting with the Ugly Betty shape.... :)
at first i did not know what to make out of it simply because it was soo bad looking... than i started to dig into the block with my dremel tool, trying to remove those problems in the wood... however with the best i can do, i could not remove everything - the result is not a perfect pipe but the best it could be made (by myself) with the block that is this bad as this one...
to answer you first remark - the chamber is not oval but round - it appears oval bacause i sanded down the sides of the chamber that are toward the smoker and from the smoker...
other remarks - well, i addmit that this pipe is not perfect - but, when you look at it that i was constantly strugling to throw it in a trashbox or to work further... well, i was really not trying to make a perfect pipe here, just to be smokable and looks at least on something... :) when it was finished, i was not happy with how it looked.. after staining i found it looks nice enough to post it here and on my site - in my opinion, this is a good looking pipe that can be made a lot better with a better material...
i am sure a lot more flaws can be found here like rusticated surfaces that are not even - but there were cracks to be removed so, they simply can't be even... 14 flaws on the material with few of them really big is a lot... :) :)...
the good thing is that overall this little thing looks really good in my opinion - i can't recognize her - the transformation is so huge... :) in fact i am really impressed how good the pipe can be made from that bad material (it is not that i am saying that i am a good pipemaker but i am happy how good it turned out).. it has flaws for sure - but look at her - she really looks great - and belive me, she looks a lot better in reality - it has a lot of going on on her - a lot of surfaces, movement... she is simply not boring at all... (i was affraid she might be "overdone" and boring)... but all those surfaces and movement is calmed down with just two types of finish here - dark shiny and dark rusticated... i find this calming even if the shape is like it is...
strange :) :)
i am happy she turned this good from that bad block... she is perfectly usable and she is a gift for a dear friend...
also, in my opinion the name is really good for her - it just popped out the minute i saw those final pictures... :) at first i wanted to call her Aries.. :) but Thor is a lot better here in my opinion :P :P :P
would love to hear more what you think of her... :)

Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice pipe. another work of art under your belt!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Surely this is Mjölnir rather than Thor??
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

Sasquatch wrote:Surely this is Mjölnir rather than Thor??
you are perfectly on the spot - but, the problem is that the name for his hammer is difficult to spell :) ... so, Thor is easier :)...

Massis

Post by Massis »

Well, if this was a reject with 14 flaws in it, you did a mighty fine job!
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

Massis wrote:Well, if this was a reject with 14 flaws in it, you did a mighty fine job!
:) that is what i am telling you - heheheheh :) ... i am really happy how she turned out... i could not remove all the flaws but with dremel but that is the reason i used dark stains and rustication... :) and it was a good thing i did... if the material was nice - she would for sure be more even and simetric and more precise but maybe i would try to show nice grain and she would not be like this at all...
a bad block turned nice... :) heheheheheheheh....
14 flaws and some really big... :) heheheheh...

maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A very original pipe.
Best regards.
Felix

Una pipa muy original.
Saludos.
Félix
ND Pipes