Horn shank extensions

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Charl

Horn shank extensions

Post by Charl »

I've been wanting to try a shank extension from horn for quite a while, but thought I'll get a bit of info from the pro's first. I want the piece of horn to be 20-25mm long and was thinking to turn the shank down, and then fit the horn over as a "sleeve". Or would it also be feasible to use delrin straight through the piece of horn into the briar, sort of as connector? Could also use stainless tubing then for that matter, I suppose.
Anybody who has done it before or know how it's been done?
e Markle

Re: Horn shank extensions

Post by e Markle »

Since you mentioned "pro's," I'm totally unqualified to answer here, but I wanted to mention that I would not use delrin for that. I tried it, and the flexibility of the delrin allowed just enough movement for the epoxy to pop. I've been using a briar tenon ever since. Stainless would be fine too. FWIW
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

The only real horn extension I've ever done, I turned down the shank to fit into a mortise in the horn.

Rad
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thought so, thanks Rad. Was actually hoping for a way to save on a bit of briar! :lol:
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

You can also do it in reverse, with the tenon on the horn and a mortise in the briar. I like to make sure the stem tenon is mostly held by the briar however and the horn just a sliding fit, saves putting stress on the joint. My preference is to do it as Rad suggests as long as there is enough briar, however sometimes that isn't always possible.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks, Chris.
I suppose my main concern is that I don't want the horn itself in contact with the smoke.