2nd and 3rd Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
HumblePipe

2nd and 3rd Pipes

Post by HumblePipe »

So, I am still not very good at this but I am definitely enjoying creating these. There are many skills that I still need to learn, some I am finding while I am creating these, but mostly I am reading what you guys have to say and I greatly appreciate all the shared wealth of knowledge.
e Markle

Re: 2nd and 3rd Pipes

Post by e Markle »

Cool - hope you had fun making them!
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Pipe making is a lot of fun. It's great to see something come out of a block of wood and piece of hardened rubber.

My suggestion is to not be afraid of sanding more. My first couple of pipes I got too zealous with the sanding disc and sanded through to the tobacco chamber. I like making mistakes at full speed. :oops:

Keep plugging along. Go make another one, get feedback and enjoy the hobby.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Larry, thanks for the advise. Yes, I still have fear of taking too much briar off. Hopefully my next effort will allow me to get over that fear.
J
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Nice pipes! Enjoy the hobby, its very therapeutic! :D
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi Humble,
i can recognize that you appreciate pipe carving and have ambitions to do so, you made a start with your pipes that is for sure.Now you have to refine your skills more and more , learning by observing and you should be able to translate more of that what you see and appreciate on other shapes on to your own pipes.
The butt on your pipes is still much too heavy,do not hesitate go into the Bruyere and sand it down more and more until the shape emerges that the pipe should have.The shape is already in there you just have to free it from the excessive material.You could have a Billiard or Dublin in there,even if you f..k it up do not hesitate to follow through.There is no guaranty for a successful and properly finished shape ,you got to dig your on stuff !
On this forum you can educate and prepare yourself in a proper manner learning from pipecarvers who also have been there where you now are . :wink:

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Abi Natur wrote: The butt on your pipes is still much too heavy...
Interesting. I wouldn't expect that from you.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Abi, thank you for your words of wisdom. You are definitely correct, the butt of the pipe has been a big downfall of mine. I will be going back to my first pipe I have made to try and remedy that, in hopes that I will make it look more like a classic shaped pipe and to get over my fear of taking briar off. Although this I a hobby for me, I do hope to eventually create a pipe that I know, deep down, I am extremely proud of. Thanks again!
J
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

e Markle wrote:
Abi Natur wrote: The butt on your pipes is still much too heavy...
Interesting. I wouldn't expect that from you.
Always expect the unexpected or life may cheat on you! :wink:
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/