Blasted Dublin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LAH

Blasted Dublin

Post by LAH »

Here is my first blast attempt. My blasting technique could be improved. I will say that blasting briar is good fun. There are a few things with the pipe I see that needs some improvement. The stain could be a little more even, the buffing wheel lightened up the edge alittle. The bottom of the stem could have a better flow with the curve. I'd like to hear what you fellas think about it. I guess this one will be mine since a dagum fissure appeared in the chamber. :filth-n-foul: :D
Critiques are greatly appreciated.
Here's the little bugger
Nate

Re: Blasted Dublin

Post by Nate »

Boy, that is a great looking pipe! I like the blast with the smooth top and your stem work looks to be very nice. Too bad about the chamber, but I bet if you coat it and treat it nice, it'll be great! :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I like that pipe a lot too. That fissure makes a guy cry, huh? What if you widen the bowl out with a rasp/dremel? Would it disappear?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Given the width of the rim, I bet that fissure won't ever cause a problem...though I'd coat the bowl just to be safe. Beautiful pipe, btw. I'm with Nate...the blast with the smooth rim look really nice.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LAH

Post by LAH »

Sas,
Thanks, I first drilled it with a 3/4" bit, had a few decent flaws, so then I drilled it with 13/16". I could see the fissure just starting and the top of it looked thin, so I decided to poke at it to see how thin it was. It turned out to be very then and broke away. I'd say it's about a 1/16" deep, there is also a few little spots on the other side of the chamber which look fine right now, but I'm afraid they might open up if I go larger, given the nature if this particular piece of briar. I was kinda heart broken when I saw the fissure, but now I have a nice pipe to smoke and to use as a guide for the future. I'm still dialing in on the feel of the bits and the draw, this one is very close to what I like.
LAH

Post by LAH »

Thanks Nate and JMG. Coating the bowl does sound like a good idea. The only bad thing about that is when I buy buttermilk it spoils before I need to mix up more for another pipe. But I guess that a small price to pay.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Beautiful pipe and very nice first blast. I love the whole thing. It's very Stanwell-esque. Very cool stamp also. Looks like a bugger to get a nice deep stamping.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

I must say, that is a nice pipe!
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi Lah,
i agree with the above said,a really ripe and classy looking pipe.I like the combination of sand & smooth with the dark finish !
Congrats :thumbsup:
Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Nice looking pipe! And good blast as well.
LAH

Post by LAH »

Thanks guys
FredS

Post by FredS »

I like this pipe. A lot.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford