No. 7 - Annata

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

No. 7 - Annata

Post by Nate »

Ok, firstly. Sorry Sas, I made another straight pipe, I know you're heartbroken. :) Secondly, you can shave with the edge of the rim, it's a 2-in-one pipe!

Ok, now on to serious things. My first attempt at a pencil shank pipe. Not overly happy with it, but for now, I'll take it. I have studied Rad's pencil shanks and seen areas where I can improve. The stem is too long, but I hope the 'slenderness' helps that a little. I am happy with the yellowheart's grain complementing the shank grain as well as the 'ribbon' of black through it. The ribbon flattened out on the right side as I was shaping, so that's a little disappointing. I was finally able to get a decent contrast, so that was a nice moment! The shank does taper from bowl to button, so some of the photos where it appears to have a 'chubby center' are simply an optical delusion. I have my own issues with it, but I look forward to hearing what you guys think I can improve.

JMG

Re: No. 7 - Annata

Post by JMG »

The contrast is just great on this pipe and the finish looks really nice as well. I think the angle of the bowl's cant is spot on. my only critique is that the stem may be a touch too long, but you covered that already. However, on a positive note its length gives this pipe sort of a "Bing" quality. Great job, Nate.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Great staining/finish work!
Nate

Post by Nate »

JMG wrote:The contrast is just great on this pipe and the finish looks really nice as well. I think the angle of the bowl's cant is spot on. my only critique is that the stem may be a touch too long, but you covered that already. However, on a positive note its length gives this pipe sort of a "Bing" quality. Great job, Nate.

That's kinda what I was going for, so I guess it worked! Will be much better next time though. :)

Thanks BeatusLiebowitz!! I am pretty pleased with that part! Gets better every pipe!
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi Nate,
Some beauty with Bling in your readily recognizable stile.
Grain and finish absolutely :thumbsup:

Best,
Abi

ps;and the Plug is giving me some major sinful thoughts, i have to get it !
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Nate,

no critique - just admiration :notworthy: ... congrats, this one's near perfection - and no, the stem is not too long.

Regards, Jens
Traderbob

Post by Traderbob »

Outstanding Pipe! Great shape and I like the inserts and bit work!

Bob
My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new. Robert Service
Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Hi Nate,
I really like this pipe! This one, as well as the others you have made, have a real Art Deco feel. It would'nt be out of place sitting on a Ruhlmann bar or a Jallot table. Nice work!

Jim
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Really excellent looking pipe, and the design, well, if you tripped while smoking it, you could be seriously injured. :lol:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Abi Natur wrote:Hi Nate,
Some beauty with Bling in your readily recognizable stile.
Grain and finish absolutely :thumbsup:

Best,
Abi

ps;and the Plug is giving me some major sinful thoughts, i have to get it !
Thanks Abi, I appreciate the compliments! I have yet to open the Jack Knife, I have too much open already :( Can you purchase that where you are?
LAH

Post by LAH »

Great work!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Jos wrote:Hi Nate,

no critique - just admiration :notworthy: ... congrats, this one's near perfection - and no, the stem is not too long.

Regards, Jens
Thanks Jens, glad you like it!! I think the shaping is off a little on it, but pretty happy regardless and I will do better on the next one!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Traderbob wrote:Outstanding Pipe! Great shape and I like the inserts and bit work!

Bob
Thank you very much Bob! I have really liked working with the yellowheart, it is a great material.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sawdust wrote:Hi Nate,
I really like this pipe! This one, as well as the others you have made, have a real Art Deco feel. It would'nt be out of place sitting on a Ruhlmann bar or a Jallot table. Nice work!

Jim
Thanks for the compliments Jim! That is a big influence of my design, I am glad it is showing!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Mike Messer wrote:Really excellent looking pipe, and the design, well, if you tripped while smoking it, you could be seriously injured. :lol:
Very true Mike, perhaps it is best a 'sitting' pipe :lol: I appreciate your comments!
Nate

Post by Nate »

LAH wrote:Great work!
Thanks!! :D
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice pipe Nate, you do great work!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Boekweg wrote:Very nice pipe Nate, you do great work!
Thanks, I appreciate it!
flix

Post by flix »

N8,

Great work, with questions (of course, no breaks for you!):

Why is the chin so sharp? I would've made it like a typical dublin with a rounded one.
Also, the stem is a fan tail. It seems that it might be a little more attractive with a straight stem, am I wrong?

Finish looks pretty good. Nice!

--a
Nate

Post by Nate »

flix wrote:N8,

Great work, with questions (of course, no breaks for you!):

Why is the chin so sharp? I would've made it like a typical dublin with a rounded one.
Thanks! No breaks needed, critique will help me get better. I actually matched the radius of the bowl/shank transfer and with all the sharp lines on the pipe, I wanted to follow suit. I also didn't have a bunch more room to remove material there. I can see your point though. I just held it up and did a visual and may give that a go on the next.
flix wrote:Also, the stem is a fan tail. It seems that it might be a little more attractive with a straight stem, am I wrong?

Finish looks pretty good. Nice!

--a
Again, I see your point. Most of the pencil shank pipes I was looking at had at least a flare to the bit. But their composition was a lot better than mine too! :) I was divided on this or a straight 'bullnose' bit. Like the other thought, I may give it a go on the next.