fanboy strikes again!

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

fanboy strikes again!

Post by KurtHuhn »

I may have had the best smoke of the week last night - a bowl of GLP Robusto. I wasn't certain I'd have time to finish it since I was cooking on the grill, and I hate doing that with Robusto since it's *not* a good candidate for DGT (tastes like an ashtray if you try it). However, I loaded up about 3/4 of a bowl and threw the chicken on the flame.

The beginning of the bowl tastes like when you just light a good maduro cigar. Not an Onyx or something, not quite that good, but one of the better inexpensive ones - like a Maria Mancini. There's a spice that develops shortly afterward, depending on how hard you puff, and that's probably the latakia whispering to your tongue. The flavor never falters or weakens, all the way through the bowl. If anything, it develops a creamy flavor towards the end.

Like a good cigar, you have to take care not to puff too hard. However, like most GLP blends, this one is fairly dry and doesn't require lots of puffing to keep it lit. Another benefit to the dryness, and the nature of using cigar leaf, is that you're probably not going to need to swab out your stem. It was about 50 degrees here last night, and humid, and I expected to need a handful of of cleaners, especially since I was breaking in a new pipe. However, no cleaners needed - not a single one. It smoked dry right down to the bottom, not even requiring a relight, and no dottle left over.

There are some drawbacks, and that's the flavor and smell. You have to like cigars in order to appreciate this blend. My wife and mother-in-law *hate* the smell. Also, you need to pay attention to your puffing. Like a good cigar, if you puff too much, it turns hot, sour, and nasty. Take a few puffs, and let it rest for a moment. Don't worry about it going out, if you light it well to begin with, that simply isn't a concern.

Oh yeah, the chicken was done at exactly the same time as my smoke. Talk about a great experience!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Way cool bud.

How are things out in Rhode Island? Everything going well?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Rhode Island is nice. The thing about moving to a new state hoping to find a job is... you have to find a job. This isn't something I would even consider if I my position didn't get consolidated at my previous employer. On the other hand, I get called in a couple times a week to help the United Van Lines drivers, and they pay well. And I've been out on a few carpentry jobs, and the carpenter pays pretty well too.

It's tough though. There simply aren't too many UNIX jobs here in RI, but there's column after column of carpentry job available. It might be time to make a switch. 8O
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com