Important News About RAINER BARBI

The place to make announcements of interest to the Forum members.
crichton

Important News About RAINER BARBI

Post by crichton »

I posted this over on the Smokers Forums and then realized that I should post it here as well, so here it is...

As many of you know I have had the pleasure of Rainer Barbi's time since I moved to Phoenix. He has been here off and on quite a bit due to his close relationship with Carolyn Perea (from Pipe Makers Emporium). Those of you who have met Rainer know how nice of a person he is, how he is willing to spend time divulging information about briar and the art of pipemaking. He is truly an open and honest person and has devoted his life to our hobby.

A couple of months ago Rainer was diagnosed with cancer. He came to Phoenix about a week and a half ago to visit with Carolyn, Marty Pulvers and a few others, but suffered from several small strokes last monday. He is currently resting at Carolyn's while deciding his next move. He is doing well, all things considered, but has been very tired and unable to go out much. They are currently trying to decide if it is better for him to return to Germany as planned for chemotherapy or to stay here in the United States.

Carolyn says his spirits have been low lately and would like some help trying to cheer him up. She said that his mind is clear and he enjoys reading, and of course likes to hear about the pipe world. His work since the early 1970's means a great deal to him and she thinks that it would be nice for him to hear from others in the hobby. I am listing below Carolyn's home email address for anyone who would like to send him a quick message, and Carolyn's home address for those of you who might wish to send a card or letter to him. I cannot guarantee that he will respond, but she says that he will enjoy hearing from those who wish to take the time to contact him.

This is all of the information that is known at this time regarding Rainer's condition and Carolyn asks that "talk" online be kept to a minimum if possible to help curb any rumors. I am more than happy to post updates for her and Rainer and will do so as she asks. I hope that many of you will join me in supporting a man that has done so much for our hobby over the years.

Email: cperea1@cox.net

Address: Rainer Barbi
c/o Carolyn Perea
19020 N. 43rd Dr.
Glendale, AZ 85308
Nate

Re: Important News About RAINER BARBI

Post by Nate »

Thank you for the post Crichton. Sad to hear news like this.