Pipemaker Tooling

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
ToddJohnson

Pipemaker Tooling

Post by ToddJohnson »

Gentlemen,

I've been working with a number of pipemakers over the course of the past several years, and I've found that one of the biggest obstacle for aspiring pipemakers is tooling. I tend not to mince words, so I will say simply that everything I've seen out there is either crap, or ridiculously expensive for what it is.

When guys come and visit me, part of what I teach them is tool making. None of the things we need are off the shelf items, so if you can't either make or buy pipemaking tools, your results are always going to be less than satisfactory.

I'm going to be setting up a new website that offers profiled S & D bits for way less than you'll find them for anywhere else. They will have better edges, better reliefs, and cut smoother holes. I will also be offering both two jaw self centering chucks and two jaw independently adjustable chucks (my personal preference for turning).

I will also be offering spoon bits that are designed correctly with sharpened edges and backside reliefs that prevent burning and make them much safer to use. They will also come with the pilot bit necessary for using them affectively.

I'll also be offering shaping and sanding wheels that, if mastered and used correctly, can eliminate 90-100% of the hand sanding you're currently doing.

Finally, I'll be offering cost-affective lathe tools that will help with stem work, squaring shanks, cutting countersinks, etc.

If you guys can think of anything else that you want/need, just drop me a line and let me know what it is. I expect to have a table set up in Chicago with some examples of the tooling I'll be offering. It may not always look especially fancy, but one thing I can guarantee you that none of the other "tool makers" can is that it will work and work perfectly. I do not mess around with sub-standard tooling because if I did I would lose time and money. This is obviously not going to be a big money maker for me, but it will hopefully provide a much needed resource for guys who are trying to get to the next level in their craft but are hampered by bad tooling. That's all for now.

TJ
Massis

Re: Pipemaker Tooling

Post by Massis »

I only need one thing with all of that: shipping to Europe :D

On a more serious note: I'd love to get some decently made spoon bits from you in the future, depending on their price. I'm only setting up shop, very slowly, so no big investments yet... *cough* just spent about €350 (around $500) on a decent drill press & cross vice.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Todd-

You're awesome. No matter what Bruce says about you, you really are. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
mredmond
Site Supporter

Pipemaker Tooling

Post by mredmond »

This sounds great, Todd. A quality, lower cost option on a lot of these items will be a game changer for a lot of us, I suspect.

Micah
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

This sounds amazing. Thank you Todd!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I look forward to seeing what you make. I have made nearly all of my own tooling as its cheaper and suits me better. I still have a few things on my to do list but if you say your prices are going to be good I might just save myself the hassle of making it.

Good luck with the new venture.
teevee

Post by teevee »

This is indeed very good news

cannot wait

teevee
adryazad

Post by adryazad »

I echo the others response. I await your website todd..
Leus

Post by Leus »

Hm.

I do have tools, but I don't like some of them. I use a round point milling tool for the bowls, and a standard three (!!) jaws chuck (I just remove one jaw and try to do my best with the other two.)

So, a complete kit with a couple of good sanding wheels, a full set of drills, and a chuck that can be just used in conjunction with my existing chuck would be my preference. How much will that cost? How much it would weight?
kola

Post by kola »

I would be very interested, Todd.

I have been pricing 4 jaw lathe chucks and find the prices way over the top and then add on the price of bigger towered jaws? No way. Hell, I could weld up and bend my own tower jaws if need be.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Look forward to seeing what you have gotten done in Chicago Todd! Sounds like it will be great tooling.
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Wow. Is it x-mas already? This sounds really interesting.
ToddJohnson wrote:
I'll also be offering shaping and sanding wheels that, if mastered and used correctly, can eliminate 90-100% of the hand sanding you're currently doing.
I'm really interested in this. An idea would be to also make a short DVD/video/whatever to show how to master the sanding wheels. I know I would buy it in a heartbeat.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

ToddJohnson wrote: I expect to have a table set up in Chicago with some examples of the tooling I'll be offering.
Will the site be up before May, or after the show? I have my cc in hand now... Thanks.
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

I think that I'll let Tiny Tim sum up my thoughts on this one...

"God Bless us all, everyone!"
kola

Post by kola »

I am very interested and have cash in pocket. cha ching? :wink:
Martianh

Post by Martianh »

And the bells started ringing and the angels started singing and you got into heaven.

I'll be very anxiously awaiting the next update.

Martin
ReddishMoon

Post by ReddishMoon »

Any word yet on when this is going down? Because it sounds amazing
Nate

Post by Nate »

ReddishMoon wrote:Any word yet on when this is going down? Because it sounds amazing
Spoke with Todd briefly at the show, he said some of it is still at the tool & die shop. Should be coming soon though I believe. I bet he'll give us an update on it soon.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Pipemaker Tooling

Post by mredmond »

Thanks for the update, Nate. I was thinking about making some purchases this weekend, but I'll wait for Todd, since it's still in the works.

Micah
ReddishMoon

Post by ReddishMoon »

That's great to hear nate. Thanks for the update. I've been antzy since I first read this :D