Pipe bag.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
aaron

Pipe bag.

Post by aaron »

Besides being a novice pipe maker, I am also a leather worker, and needed something to hold my pipes when I go down to the shop to sit and smoke. I came up with this bag (more of a box). It is 18" long and 7.5" wide. It serves my purpose well. Other pipe makers: what do you carry your pipes in and do you think there is a market for my "pipe bags?"
http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/modules/c ... 36_IMG.JPG

I have made one more for a fellow with lots of meerschaums, took a Jaden Hew Len in trade for it. Any body else willing to let go a pipe for a bag? :D
I just want to be the best that I can be.
marks

Post by marks »

What a cool idea! It could also serve duty as a sign on your table at pipe shows. A shoulder strap would be a nice addition.
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Most pipe makers use foam lined gun cases or foam lined cases made for musical equiptment. Ths way when you open the case it also acts as a small showcase at show meeting places, open the case and you attract a crown. When you leave you close the case and go, no packing required :-)) The foam closes around the pipes when closed and keeps the pipes from moving.. I've made similar cases to yours for salesman and attorneys, sometimes with a wheel bracket like an airport on board bag. That said there is a market for everything somewhere :-)) Is the bag slotted for pipes or accessories or anything ? Also (to MarkS), when you are paying for space at a show, space is generally at a premium so the footprint of an 18x7.5 inch case would take up allot of valuable table space. I'd suggest making a sign out of leather this way the footprint is inches and not feet. I've never made a leather sign, I figure it would get lost in the table space behing bags and stuff anyway so I use a printed sign with my logo. I can also make the suggestion that it is possible to starve slowly making leather bags for pipe smokers :-))

Nice work though and good luck !

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Sorry, rather than saying most pipemakers I should have said many :-))

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Aaron, I like that box/bag a *lot*. I love the classic look. If you're serious about a trade, ping me at pipecrafter@pipecrafter.com.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
aaron

Post by aaron »

I am interested in a trade, but right now my leather stock is low. I will order some more once I have saved up some more pennies. Money is tight in these military homes. he he he. I will send you an email, but for now you should think of the design you might want for it. I also have another bag that I made which is the same shape and size, but I made it for a man who collects meerschaum dragon pipes. It has a dragon on it and braided lace work on the edges and handle instead of sewing.

thanks for your interest.

Aaron
hlp808

Post by hlp808 »

I have seen the bag in person and it's a well made bag.

Oh and that Hew Len guy can get pretty grumpy when he doesn't get his daily lunch requirements of Laulau and Poi :wink:

Jaden
aaron

Post by aaron »

Gentlemen, If you do not own a pipe made by that fellow (Jaden Hew Len that is), It is my recommendation that you get one. His shapes are wonderful, his drilling is perfect, and mine smokes better than my prized Manuel Shaabi. I really do like his pipes, and if you have never met him, I cannot imagine anyone not liking Jaden.

Aaron