Using a Hole Saw?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
loosvelt

Using a Hole Saw?

Post by loosvelt »

Guys,

I apologize if this topic is in here somewhere but the search ignores the word "hole" for me and only searches for "saw" which gives me a million posts.

A year after I read it the first time, I read the PIMO pipemaking book again. Anyway, I didn't make note of this before but in the book they talk about using a hole saw to help create a "perfectly" round pipe without a lathe. I use a drill press, and mostly have tried free hands because of the skill needed to create the classic shapes without a lathe. I was wondering if using a hole saw actually works as well as it describes? Anybody use this technique?

-Nate
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
RadDavis

Re: Using a Hole Saw?

Post by RadDavis »

I'm sure that would work to make a perfectly round cylindrical bowl.

But 99.9% of pipes just don't have a perfectly round cylindrical bowl.

I'd work on learning how to shape pipes, so your not totally dependent on jigs and such.

Rad
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I used hole saws to make perfectly rounded bowl and shank ends on my first few pipes. Since I didn't want a perfectly straight cylinder, I would just use the hole saw to cut the first 1/8"-1/4" or so, then I'd shape the rest of the stummel on a belt sander. Let me tell you, it will work, but it not only takes an insane amount of time and effort to seamlessly join the hole saw/non-hole saw surfaces, but it deprives you of valuable practice in properly shaping a pipe.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I just use an extra pass with a forstner bit the same size (or close to it anyway) that I'm shooting for on the outside diameter of the chamber. If you're using a drill press it's super easy to do. And a lot less difficult to get the round shapes needed for certain pipes, patience and needle files will become your best friends ;) It's irritating as hell at first, everytime it seems "right," look from another angle and it's all wawmpy jawed. But as all things in life, it takes practice and patience (which is always in short supply) :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

When making pipe kits I typically use a big forstner bit to "kiss" the briar - just enough for the outer cutting edge to leave an outline. I've received several emails of thanks for putting that on there as a guide. Maybe that will help?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

RadDavis wrote:I'm sure that would work to make a perfectly round cylindrical bowl.

But 99.9% of pipes just don't have a perfectly round cylindrical bowl.

I'd work on learning how to shape pipes, so your not totally dependent on jigs and such.

Rad

Good point Rad,

Thanks for the other good points too guys.
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

FredS

Post by FredS »

If you're just using hole saws or forstner bits to leave a witness mark to work to, you can do it with a compass too.

See this link
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4340&p=36917&hilit=compass#p36917
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's a good point, Fred. I tend to use a pencil held in my hand in a similar fashion. Seems I never can find the 99-cent calipers when I need them....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

loosvelt wrote:Guys,

I apologize if this topic is in here somewhere but the search ignores the word "hole" for me and only searches for "saw" which gives me a million posts.

A year after I read it the first time, I read the PIMO pipemaking book again. Anyway, I didn't make note of this before but in the book they talk about using a hole saw to help create a "perfectly" round pipe without a lathe. I use a drill press, and mostly have tried free hands because of the skill needed to create the classic shapes without a lathe. I was wondering if using a hole saw actually works as well as it describes? Anybody use this technique?

-Nate

And please don't think I am saying doing wonderful freehands doesn't take skill, takes even more really. But I think there is just more margin for what todd calls "I meant to do that" where a new guy can make a crappy pipe that looks ok in his own mind. You know easily when you butcher the classics.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well sure, but that doesn't stop me. :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!