Jet JWBS-9 Bandsaw

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
adryazad

Jet JWBS-9 Bandsaw

Post by adryazad »

Hi,

This is a plea to those who has used or have any experience with this 9" Bandsaw.

Is there a way i can find a sealed bearing blade guide for this machine? The graphite bars just isn't cutting it. Apart from that, I realise that this bandsaw has got really poor build quality.
I believe my dad stripped the M5 threads on the blade guide adjustment screw, and now i need to go out and either get a helicoil thread repair kit or a M6 tap to re-thread it.

Does anyone have any experience with modding the blade guides for this particular bandsaw? Or is there any other bandsaw i can scavenge parts from.

Cheers,

Adry
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Jet JWBS-9 Bandsaw

Post by KurtHuhn »

I don't have the Jet, but I do have the Delta version of that saw. Seems the JWBS-9 isn't sold in the US.

I have not been able to find roller blade guides anywhere, unfortunately. I've found that you really want to step up to the 14" saws to get decent accessories.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Daniel Y

Post by Daniel Y »

Adry, Not that I have done an exhaustive search, But I am thinking that bearing guides for a 9 inch saw is going to be a no. I have a Grizzly 14 inch and one of the reasons I do is at that time it was the smallest saw i could find that had bearing guides. It was also advertised as one of the first 14 inch saws to do so.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Daniel, how do you like that Grizzly? I've been going back and forth about 'The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw' saw for ages.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Daniel Y

Post by Daniel Y »

Kurt. One of the first things ever cut on it was railroad ties. and it went through them like a hot knife through butter. I also cut up 500 lbs of wet walnut burl. the sap building up on the blade took out one of the guide bearing before I realize what was going in. the bearing was a couple of bucks to replace and other than wearing out a blade. I got the whole lot cut up. basically that entire job was above and beyond what the saw should really be asked to do. I also have the riser block on it. I love it. Very good saw and I would buy it again in a heart beat.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks Daniel! The ability to put that riser block in is what's really got me interested in that saw. Based on your experience, I'm going to add it to my wish list. Thanks again!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

May I humbly recommend the Rikon 14"? Steel frame, no need for riser blocks, dual speeds, three roller bearing guide blocks top AND bottom, plus more throat depth than any Delta/powermatic clone like the Grizzly...

Stick a Highland Woodworking woodslicer blade on it and it'll slice veneer that only needs a 220-grit sanding job to be smooth. The bowl-turner's blade will take wet wood with no complaints.

On top of all that, it's so quiet even during the cut you don't even need earmuffs. :shock:

The only downside I've found with mine is that they don't make a zero-clearance throatplate for it. I've got some 1/8" UHMWPE for that, though. 8)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Not for nothin', but Rikon is a pretty unfortunate name. Like WeCheer... :D
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
adryazad

Post by adryazad »

Hi guys,

This morning while sawing a block, the blade gave way at the weld. Now, I guess i'm back to handsawing my work :).
Getting a new blade from Jet Malaysia would cost me around 100usd and based on my research online the bandsaw blade for this particular saw is 1510mm.

I managed to find a replacement blade from RS online in Malaysia, and it goes for about 20 USD, but the length stated there is 59 1/2", which is 1511.3mm.

I do believe that 1.3mm would be a negligible length, but just wanted to ask some opinions of the more learned guys here.

Cheers,

Adry
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It should work fine. 59.5" is a standard length for these saw blades, and any extra would be taken up by the tension adjustment.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
adryazad

Post by adryazad »

thats great!.. because for the price of 1 jet blade here.. i could get at least 4 blades from the cheaper alternative.
I might even get a 10mm just so that i can cut straighter.. Man i dream of having a 14" saw.. but my workspace doesn't allow so..
hebi

Post by hebi »

my favorite source:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/bandsaw-blad ... prod21507/

but i would advise 1/4" wide for JWBS-9
3/8" too difficult to adjust :(