Lancia Gialla

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

Lancia Gialla

Post by Nate »

Here is my 4th pipe. I attempted to pay homage to a WØ Larsen bulldog I own, but after forgetting the Larsen and shaping this pipe from memory, I found my memory failed me. I was able to redeem the pipe as a mixture of rhodesian and bulldog. The briar is extremely light, and even though it is a smaller pipe (approx. Group 3) it only weighs 19 grams (0.67 ounce). The extension is from a yellowheart pen blank. I turned the blank on end to lend continuity to the birdseye on the top of the bowl. Plus I thought it looked very cool with end grain! :) I could tell you all that is wrong with it, but I'd rather let the pros tell me, let the critique begin!

http://journalofgears.blogspot.com/2011 ... ialla.html
JMG

Re: Lancia Gialla

Post by JMG »

Holy smokes, Nate...this is great. The yellow heart, I think, is the perfect accessory for this particular pipe. REALLY wish I would have laid claims to this pipe first. Really nice, man.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

That's really, really nice looking Nate.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks guys, really appreciate the kind words. :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That looks great, Nate. Now, this is exactly the kind of pipe I personally hate, so it's real tough for me to seperate my personal preference from legitimate criticism, but I'll try.

First off, it's not bent, and it's too small, and it's smooth.

D'oh!

Let me try again.

The only line on the pipe that looks "off" to me is an apparent slight dip in teh top line of the shank, on the briar - all the other lines are straight and rigid and really well executed. Finish looks good, the chamber/finished edge looks great, stem looks nice. It's a bit art deco (or soemthing) for me, but you did a hell of a job with it.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:That looks great, Nate. Now, this is exactly the kind of pipe I personally hate, so it's real tough for me to seperate my personal preference from legitimate criticism, but I'll try.

First off, it's not bent, and it's too small, and it's smooth.

D'oh!

Let me try again.

The only line on the pipe that looks "off" to me is an apparent slight dip in teh top line of the shank, on the briar - all the other lines are straight and rigid and really well executed. Finish looks good, the chamber/finished edge looks great, stem looks nice. It's a bit art deco (or soemthing) for me, but you did a hell of a job with it.
But Sas it has a diamond shank!! You said you liked diamond shanks! Well ok, you prefer them over square shanks. :) Thank you for your notes and you are correct it does dip down by the bowl. Unfortunately I am as thin as I can go there and cannot correct it. :( Live and learn.
It is certainly small, smaller than I had originally wanted. But damn is it light!
It was really fun to make this one and a blast working with the yellowheart! I just hope I did it justice.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

oh yes...! this is a nice pipe... one really good job... like it...... :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Comrade Nate,
This is a excellently executed pipe,everything is in a proper balance and the climax is beautify expressed through the inlay,the saddle sits perfectly regarding the whole expression of the pipe .
That is now a real diamond!

Cheerio'
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
SWM

Post by SWM »

Well, late again, Genosse Abi - so I'll echo you this time... :wink:

Nate, this is an (almost) perfectly executed pipe! Sure, on second sight I notice the slight dip etc. but then, you're a human being/artist, not a machine. You can never beat a (good) machine as far as acuracy is concerned and I think, this shouldn't be your aim. Sometimes a slight imperfection adds something to a pipe, a machine could never give to it: Personality!

I like your pipe, man - good job!

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
Walle

Post by Walle »

Nate!

And I echo Steffen: Perfectly executed, in addition: I love that flat bulldog-shape.
Is there a "dip" somewhere. Sorry, I can´t see any.

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Hm. It does echo in here, doesn't it?

Very nice pipe. I like it a lot. And knowing it's your fourth pipe is just, well, just....great! It does have the aura of a race car... :D

Keep up the very, very good work.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Wow. That is a nice pipe.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks everyone! You are all very kind! :D
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Great job.
Greetings.
Felix

Magnífico trabajo.
Saludos.
Félix
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Very nice Nate! That yellowheart really makes it pop, very "got it together" look to it :thumbsup:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks Felix and Dixie!

I would have liked a little better contrast on it with more yellow to compliment the yellowheart extension. Getting better at it, but still a lot to improve. I used JE Mosers Perfect Brown and Canary Yellow aniline dyes. The briar was fairly dark to begin with, so that muted the yellow I used. Despite the photos, the edges weren't over-buffed. I am always very careful of that on any edges.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Nate, I love the style you are developing. Your pipes have such crisp tight angles. It's a cool signature.

Nice work man.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

SimeonTurner wrote:Nate, I love the style you are developing. Your pipes have such crisp tight angles. It's a cool signature.

Nice work man.
Thanks Simeon! I greatly appreciate your comments!
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Very nicely executed. Most of the comments have been said. I have a W.O. Larsen and it's one of my favorites... took me 3 tries to reproduce a copy of it... sitting in the hands of one of my friends son right now.. so he enjoys the copy as much as I enjoy the original...

james
qtmaster

Post by qtmaster »

Great Pipe, it is on the small side t'hoe. :wink: :wink:
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.