Oops! How do I fix...

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
ScoJo

Oops! How do I fix...

Post by ScoJo »

Started shaping my first pipe last night from a predrilled block. While sanding I accidentally wrapped around to the end of the shank on the underside, removing a significant amount of wood. Now there is a gap between the stem and shank on the underside, while the top is pretty flush. Is there any way to fix this? I guess that the only thing to do is to hit that whole face of the shank to flatten it, then shorten the tenon a bit? That would remove the little countersink that is around the mortise, though.

:oops:

Wow, this is pretty difficult. I have a whole new respect for pipe makers, that's for sure.

-Scott
JMB

Post by JMB »

JHowell

Post by JHowell »

The tool to use in such a situation is an aircraft counterbore. If you care to spend the money on one, if you can spin it in a chucked-up drill, and if the 5/16" (just guessing that's the mortise size) pilot fits snugly into the mortise, you can feed the stummel (carefully) by hand and square off the end of the shank. This is one reason to shape the stummels with a stem attached, besides which it keeps you from winding up with a shank that goes one direction and a stem that goes another. I have a few chewed-up dummy stems that I use whenever I don't want to nick up the real ones.
MikeStanley

Oops....

Post by MikeStanley »

Hi;
Lowe's or any other home or hardware store probably sells a set of 4 countersinks. I just chuck it in my drill press and countersink away. Then you have to square it up of course. For me, thats been the hardest part of pipemaking without a lathe, especially if you have to do it after the stummels has been changes from a block to a, well a pipe bowl. I try to concentrate on getting that joint correct while my block is squared up. I realize that your problem occured after the fact. I would just go slow and try and take no more wood away than you absolutely have to. Good luck!
Mike Stanley
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

You can make a fairly simple tool to correct for this sort of thing when it happens. I have a lot of brass rod lying around so that's what I use, but any metal would do. Mount the rod in the lathe and drill out a tenon-sized hole in it, then square it off. Remove the rod and get some adhesive backed sandpaper, punch or cut a hole in the center of the same size as the tenon, then stick it onto the face of the rod where it will meet the shank. Then cut a short tenon and glue it into the rod. Now, you can push the rod & tenon into the shank until the sandpaper meets the shank face, then turn it by hand. You will automatically sand the shank face down to a perfect 90 degrees to the stem. It takes some work but this can be used to fix any situation where you have a gap in the fitting. Once you're done, use a ball reamer to make a new countersink and fit your stem, trimming the tenon down as needed to fit.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
jeff

Post by jeff »

Trevor,

That's a great idea for a tool. I've been thinking about buying an aircraft counterbore b/c my lathe doesn't quite have the clearance to use Sixten's method for squaring on some stummels. I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks.

Jeff
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Hey Scott,

Trever's tool idea is a great one. If you want to come up to my place we can use my Taig to make one or two of those things.
Last edited by ArtGuy on Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Sounds like a good idea, John. I tried to post pics here on this forum to get some opinions as to what I might do better, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet (I don't have a server to put them on).

At any rate, give me some time once I get back from my business trip to get that cherry block and the other cherry block you gave me closer to the finishing stage and I'll bring them both up. If you're willing to tutor me in finishing then we can do that, then work on making the tool that Trevor talked about. Sounds like a really good idea - thanks for the tip, Trevor! I also like the tip about shaping with the stem in the pipe (I think John also told me to do this :oops:). I wanted the shank on my pipe to flare out where it meets the stem, but I kept taking off material there when I was shaping the bowl - I could only imagine what I would have done with the stem, too. It will take me a while to get this figured out, but for a very first attempt it has been a lot of fun so far.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Oops. Trever, not Trevor. Sorry!