Bad Ebonite???

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
hammer8

Bad Ebonite???

Post by hammer8 »

While buffing out the latest pipe I was working on, what looks like tiny holes (air pockets?) appeared near the button. I didn't notice them during sanding must have been filled with dust. Closer to the tenon, where the stem is thicker, there doesn't seem to be any. The rod came from American Art Plastics. Is this simply a bad piece of rod? This is my first hand cut stem, so I really don't have any experience as to how the material "should" work. Maybe it was bad from the start.
Don
RadDavis

Re: Bad Ebonite???

Post by RadDavis »

Those tiny air pockets are bad. If you can't sand them out, then there's not much you can do.

Rad
hammer8

Post by hammer8 »

Kind of what I thought. I don't think I'd be able to get them out- it seems like the closer to the center of the stem I go, the worse they get! :filth-n-foul:

I'll call them in the morning and see if they'll do anything about it. Thanks!
Don
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hey Don,

You probably got some pieces from their last run. It was fine for pen turners--their primary clientele--but doesn't work when you're filing the thing down to .140. They went back to the drawing board, are now extruding under much higher pressure, and the material finishes out great. Now Mark is working out a couple more kinks to "perfect" the recipe for pipemaking. He's a good guy, and I'm sure he'll take care of you.

TJ
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks for the update, Todd. From your post and Bruce's, it looks like there's good things brewing at American Art Plastics.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hammer8

Post by hammer8 »

Just an update- I was in contact with Mark from American Art Plastics this week. He said that they are just finishing up the final testing of the ebonite suitable for pipe stems. They want any issues to be taken care of before a full production run.

Mark is great to deal with, and offered either replacement of the rods I bought with the new product, or a refund. I won't have a problem ordering from him in the future.
Don