Stupid Fiebing's Bottles. . .

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Maybe I more of an idiot than I realize, but considering that every bottle of stain does the same thing I think I am probably not alone in this. Anyone else noticed how Fiebing's bottles are the worst EVER?! Every single one leaks like it was used for BB gun practice. The lids don't even come close to sealing and I keep getting stain on more and more places I don't want it. Anybody come up with any cool tricks or containers for this stuff?
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Stupid Fiebing's Bottles. . .

Post by KurtHuhn »

Small Mason jars.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I keep mine.... on a shelf.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

I transfer all my stains to Baby Food Jars
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Wear gloves.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Pouring out of those Feibings bottles is hard. They don't pour good, but nor do mason jars. I just dip a q-tip in for most staining applications. If I am mixing stains, I have eye-dropper lidded little bottles that I got from a vet clinic. I can mix up small amounts and keep 'em. So I guess that's my recommendation - move toward bulb-top bottles. I hadn't even thought of this when I first answered, because I don't use them often. I mostly just dip into the jars with q-tips and they work fine for me that way.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I just store them upright on the shelf, and dip a pipe cleaner in to stain with. No issues with that method.

Why's everybody pouring?

I've been tempted to mix some colors to get "just right." Is that what everyone is doing?
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Its not that I am pouring. Its that even if the bottle gets shaken a little when I move it on or off the shelf the dye starts coming out of the unsealed lid and pouring down the sides. I don't really want to pour, I have a bunch of cheap pipettes for mixing, it is more that I don't want it spilling out of the bottle every time I pick it up and move it.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

The mason jars idea sounds good. If it's leaking around the lid, teflon tape? It works for water, and it's kept my rusty vinegar from leaking for months now even when knocked over or dropped. It's hard to get a good seal on plastic bottles (from the injection molding point of view) because most manufacturers will use dyed re-grind plastic when producing disposable items. Re-grind is their nice way of saying "Ha! You're paying ffull price for what would otherwise be garbage!"
Believe me, I've spent many hours feeding the plastic grinder bad parts to be "re-born" as everything from crank shipping cases to the funky lil pucks on some K&N air filters ;)
But teflon tape worked for me, I even used a "perfume bottle" with the finger of a latex glove for a lid and it's done fine for months :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)