Just playin' today

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sasquatch

Just playin' today

Post by Sasquatch »

Been working on a dublin sort of thing for ... about 2 months. I'm getting happy with it, finally. I'm down now to I think slimming down the stem and making sure the top is sanded well. I wound up doing the concave rim without the benefit of the lathe. It was an afterthought. I like it though, and I'll do another, and BEFORE I finish shaping next time. Jaume's XX is fantastic or it's terrible - very little in between and most of it looks real nice like this.

And the other weekend Tyler phones me up outta the blue and says "Sasquatch, you're an embarrassment to all of us, and mostly yourself. Knock it off with the gigantic rusticated full bents. That's not what we're about, you fuzzy, stinky, subhuman."

And I tried, man, I really, really tried. But the results are predictable.

Neither of these pipes is quite done, here. The big bent needs some more TLC but I think I'm done with shaping. The dubin looks a little too chubby in the wrong places in the photos I took - funny how you can't see some things until you take a step back. So both these will get a bit more abuse before they're through.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Re: Just playin' today

Post by JMG »

Alright man, here's my critique...and given that I've been a seasoned and world renown pipe maker now for at least 5 days, I know you value my opinion highly. The first pipe is not my cup of tea, though looks nicely executed. I like the button size a lot. I'm not a big button (or as Fred would say "big butt") fan. One last thing is that the concave on the rim seems a little bit too deep for the relative shorter looking bowl. (please don't kill me and eat my bones for my critique, :shock: )

The full bent, I like. Other than that the stem needs a good polishing and you might try to clean up the stain that bled onto the chamber, I don't have anything to say. Well done, sir.

Now, being the fine gentleman that you are...giving of your time to help new pipe makers like myself, I'm sure that you will be sending these pipes to me to review and learn from up close.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

those two are really nice... very nice work as usual... thanks for sharing....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A classic Dublin.
Greetings.
Felix
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sasquatch wrote: And the other weekend Tyler phones me up outta the blue and says "Sasquatch, you're an embarrassment to all of us, and mostly yourself. Knock it off with the gigantic rusticated full bents. That's not what we're about, you fuzzy, stinky, subhuman."
I do what I can.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Those are both handsome pipes, Sas.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Sas,
Seasoned pipe professionals rarely get stain on their hands, it's the sign of a novice. Plus, it just makes your skin tone look rather pasty.

Either buy some gloves or make yourself a pipe dildo, to hold the pipe while staining. Or, could it be you're to impatient to wait for the stain to dry?

Goodness gracious Sas! Just to think I held you in such esteem, thinking you were the "Carnac the Magnificent" of pipe making :D :D :D :D
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Don't be such a hater, Bruce. My hands are clean right up to the point I take the photos, when I put a little stain on them and rough them up a bit in order to look like an "artiste". It's part of my sales strategy - "Look at the zone I was in when I made your pipe - I didn't even wear gloves, and now the pipe is part of me." I also put on a beat-up dinner jacket to fulfill the role of starving pipe maker. (Notice I never show my belly).

I took a bit off the stem of the dublin and the big one polished up good. Playing with a light tent too:

JMG

Post by JMG »

Sas, you haven't even asked me for my mailing address yet. How am I ever going to get a hands on learning experience if you don't hurry up and send me these pipes to, uhh, review?

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well I wanted to send 'em to ya, but they both got bought so we'll have to work out some other arrangement, I suppose.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Sasquatch wrote:Well I wanted to send 'em to ya, but they both got bought so we'll have to work out some other arrangement, I suppose.
You money whore.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I am good soldier of Mother Country, taking in only some American Dollars for the necessary buyings of more pipewoodstuff.

And also beer and pizza!

:thumbsup:
JMG

Post by JMG »

Sasquatch wrote:I am good soldier of Mother Country, taking in only some American Dollars for the necessary buyings of more pipewoodstuff.

And also beer and pizza!

:thumbsup:
Well.........can't fault you there.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Sas, nice work! I like them both and you have got a great groove in the bent pipes. I like the update on the stem of the dub. I especially like the white extension on the rustic, with a mirrored flare on the stem, nice touch!