Why I build big pipes, or, "The Flavor Zone"

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Sasquatch

Why I build big pipes, or, "The Flavor Zone"

Post by Sasquatch »

Kurt mentioned in another area that "sweetness" more or less eluded him as a flavor in pipe tobaccos, and that supposedly sweet blends present as kind of hot and ashy.

I'll go into it a little bit, present some arguments that some will have seen before, but that many may not have considered. I do so because I think that the concepts here are so central to enjoying and understanding pipes that they should be foremost on the pipesmoker's and pipe maker's mind.

So.

What is smoke? Smoke is particulate matter, molecules of stuff that is jumping apart because you are burning it. It contains all kinds of crappy stuff from CO and CO2 to good old water. It also contains (for our purposes) oils and sugars and all kinds of stuff that we can taste, which is why we smoke a pipe.

But all that stuff, those fragrant oils, the yummy sugars, the added essence of marmot vomit or whatever it is you like on your aromatic blend.... all that stuff can be rendered further, down to CO2 and H2O. How? By burning. Oh No! (And this is why a pipe gets wet if you smoke hot - you render too much material into water, too quickly for the pipe to absorb or dissipate).

Wood stoves, modern fancy ones, have a secondary burn zone, where a little air is added to the already once-burned stuff (the smoke) and that stuff is further reduced. This is what we DON'T want in a pipe - we want smoke that is heavily pregnant with flavor-stuffs, not smoke that has been rendered down to "hot air".

The answer is simple. Smoke slower. Smoke your pipe right on the edge of needing another match. If your pipe bowl is above lukewarm - it's too hot. Period. And when you manage this, because you are driving, or typing or some other thing than concentrating on "smoking" your pipe - when you manage it.... one of those magic smokes, where it doesn't gurgle, it doesn't go out, and it tastes great, because you aren't sucking on the thing hunting for the flavor.

If you suck on a pipe to get more flavor, you will get hot air. Good old fashioned tongue bite. Steam! If you sip at a pipe and burn as wide and slow a swath as you can through the tobacco, you will find that there is no tongue bite, and that elusive "honey on toast" flavor will present in your Mac Baren Mixture, and that "fresh cut grass" taste will come out in the Best Brown.

I swear.

Now. What does this have to do with building pipes?

Bigger is better. It's as simple as that (almost). A big honking pipe with a bowl around 7/8" wide and at least an inch deep, and better if it's 2" deep. Thick walls. Once you get a pipe like this up to operating temperature (lukewarm), which takes about 10 minutes or so, then this magical transformation occurs - it will basically cruise along at this incredibly slow pace, and the laziest of puffing will keep it not just lit but lit in that perfect zone.

For the record, I am not saying that big pipes are advantageous in every way, as regards flavor - the 2nd hour of some light delicately topped virginia is NOT the same as the first hour! Nor am I really trying to say that small pipes cannot be maximized by an experienced user. I am merely trying to relate my own personal experience as a pipe smoker. My enjoyment went from casual to utter when I mastered Mac Baren Mixture, which bit me like hell. Took my new, ultra slow smoking techniques to other blends, and lo and behold, they tasted totally different.

There are downsides to "bunker" type monster pipes. It is actually easier to smoke hot with a thick walled pipe and not know it because you do not feel it in hand right away. A thinner, smaller pipe is a better, more immediate indicator of your burn temperature. But in my experience, the very best pure smokers are pipes with substantial briar on the bowl walls. It's as though the whole system is at play - the briar returns or maintains the right amount of heat for the ideal slow burn.

Anyway, that's my double-edged pipe thought for this Saturday night. Discuss, abuse, use or disuse these notions as you see fit. But please don't come to me with a "I have a small pipe that does all that." anecdote/argument. Good for you! That pleases me no end. I don't want it, I don't want to try it, and frankly, I think you're full of crap. :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bregolad

Re: Why I build big pipes, or, "The Flavor Zone"

Post by bregolad »

I know some of you have read this, but here it is.
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills- ... lavor.html

I hate to steal your thunder, Mighty forest dweller, but it already has been discussed :) although I wouldn't mind rehashing it with you guys, since we all are more or less informed.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah I actually prefer the "Thermodynamics of Pipesmoking" blog post imho really laying out the difference in temperatures that you can get if you have a hot cherry vs just a smolder, and what hits the tongue with each.

This one here: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/classic ... oking.html

It's also possible that Kurt can't taste sweet because of all the Feibing's he swigs through a day.... I dunno.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Sasquatch wrote:"honey on toast" flavor
Brilliantly put; my favorite part of smoking.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Wow! Thanks for sharing that link! There's some deep thought for ya. I'd never even guess there would be that much temperature difference b between lighters and matches. Bravo ol' boy :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Even if there is that big a temp difference for lighters, as soon as you take the lighter or match away, you are on your own for the next hour and a half, so I don't personally take Roan's advice in this regard - I couldn't care less what I light my pipe with as long as it doesn't add a yucky taste to the pipe. I use a Bic. I suppose you could get a deeper, gentler light off of matches, but I've never really noticed a difference in that regard....
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

True dat ;)
Breaking down the different stages of the baccy was cool, explains why some people may be having different experiences, etc. And the importance of a slow smoke
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

It's also possible that Kurt can't taste sweet because of all the Feibing's he swigs through a day.... I dunno.
NOW I understand why his tongue looks like a Chow dog. Great thoughts and article links. I shall now go smoke the English blends my wife hates for even longer periods of time. :twisted:

BB
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
kola

Post by kola »

I tend to enjoy the Virginia tobaccos (flakes especially) in smaller bowls. But yes, I "sip" rather than puff.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I used to use an Old Boy, but it needs cleaning and tends to leak these days and I haven't gotten around to sending it off for service. For the last couple years I've used nothing but matches - usually the 99¢ brick of cheapies from Job Lot. The only drawback is what to do with the half burned stick....

Here's a photo I snapped last night while I was lighting up a new pipe for the first time. It was a complete accident. I had the ISO, f-stop, and exposure set all wrong, but it was a happy accident:

And on the subject of swigging Feibings? That, kind sir, is slanderous and foul. The Tandy dyes are for swigging. The Feibings is never knocked back, it is sipped slowly while enjoying the soft smoke of a pipe full of cedar chips.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

No wonder you can't taste sweetness - you're holding the match wrong!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dagnubbit!!! Can I not do anything right?! Now I have to go to match lighting school as well?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Sasquatch wrote:Yeah I actually prefer the "Thermodynamics of Pipesmoking" blog post....
This one here: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/classic ... oking.html......
Thanks for bringing that one back Sas, I had not read it in a while. The one issue I have with it is the oversimplification of the zone diagrams. I tend to think of the zone oriented more horizontally than vertically along the walls. As you light and begin smoking, everything below the lit zone becomes a (large) condensation zone rather than just a thin shell along the wall of the bowl.

On the other point I like using matches and for some reason find the tobacco "takes" the flame better than with a hotter torch. My only problem is how difficult it becomes to use a match on relights as you get deeper in the bowl since I favor larger/deeper bowls (as you know) as well. I do not tend to like narrow bowls for this reason. Any thoughts or techniques dealing with this appreciated.
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

On the topic of big pipes, I definitely have to concur even as a novice. I am still smoking my first pipe (though I just landed an estate lot of 8 briars, mostly unsmoked, for 20$) which has a very small bowl. I feel like just as I am starting to enjoy the taste it is either over or I am smoking ashes, can't wait to get home from college and clean up those estates for some big bowl smokes
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Phil, try holding the pipe upside down while you light it! :lol:

Seriously? Even the longer wood matches, the 2.5" long ones are kind of hard to get deep into a bowl. I wind up tilting the pipe so i don't burn my hand. But I find it pretty easy to just kind of suck the flame from a bic down - the flame doesn't even have to touch the leaf to get it going again usually.

MrC you will have fun cleaning those beasts up. Anything notable in your estate haul?
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

no, they are all basic, some I can't find details on the maker mark, but they are at home, and I am still at school. hopefully when i get back ill post some pictures of the ones I can't identify from the various lists on the internet.
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

It's a good thing smoking causes cancer! Otherwise, we wouldn't have such scientific studies to show us how to smoke more flavorfuly!
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

I'm glad I found this. Was just about to post a string of questions when the almighty "Search" button came through again!

The last two pipes I've made have been with 3/4" chambers and roughly 1" deep. By the time I got a little more than half way through the bowl, gurgling set in. I let it go out and then run a cleaner through it and there is enough water to bathe in. I know that this probably isn't recommended, but I have low standards.

Thanks for the write up Sas!

JV
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Jeremy I'm gonna suggest something to you here and I'm gonna sound like an offensive prick, but I'm thinking one of 2 things must be true here. Either you are designing pipes that are condensing and causing gurgle (how smooth of a trip are you giving the smoke from bowl to button - this is THE CRITICAL idea for making a good pipe - no lumps, no bumps, no chambers, pockets, little catchy edges.... just a smooth tube inside all the way). OR you are smoking much to hot and generating more moisture than the pipe can get rid of by burning at such a high rate. A pipe 3/4" by 1" deep is perhaps a little shorter than I would ordinarily smoke, but it's not "out of the ballpark" in terms of ordinary pipe design, and I certainly wouldn't sell a pipe made to that spec and be thinking "Jesus I hope this isn't a gurgler."

Something's wrong in your setup, my friend.
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

Offend away Sas. I have a thick skin. :)

I'll have to examine my pipes keeping in mind what you've said here. One of my "gurglers" is a straight pipe, but the other is bent. I'll admit, my drilling on the bent pipe missed center on stem alignment by almost the width of the draft hole. But the other is straight through the center. When I figure out which box they're in (we're just finishing up moving), I'll have a look.

Question:
When I'm smoking, I typically have to re-light 2-3 times, so I don't THINK I'm getting too hot. HOWEVER, once I get about 1/2 through a bowl, I have trouble getting it relit, so I'll scrape/dump some of the ash off the top and get it going again. I do notice some bite at this point. What am I doing wrong here?