Would this work for making chamber bits?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Aquinas

Would this work for making chamber bits?

Post by Aquinas »

I was wondering if this would be a decent set to make into chamber bits?

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-22-0 ... 37&sr=8-4/

I was thinking it might be nice since they are short and might not wobble much. Are they too short?
Sasquatch

Re: Would this work for making chamber bits?

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd say those'd work real good.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
flix

Post by flix »

It looks like they're too short. JHLowe's bits are quite a bit longer, but, at least they can be cut down. The adapter in the picture wouldn't work at all, too much play for my confidence...
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Those look good to me. Short is good. I alway cut mine down anyway. Saves you the trouble.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I concur with the "yesses". All my bits are as short as possible - it reduced wobble, chatter, and wander. And also cuts down on the utterances of words like "piffle".
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Aquinas

Post by Aquinas »

Thanks for the info guys. I have two of those sets. If there is someone with experience grinding them down and would want a project let me know. If someone would grind one of the sets down for me they can keep the second set. Please only reply if you have experience doing this. thanks.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Aquinas wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I have two of those sets. If there is someone with experience grinding them down and would want a project let me know. If someone would grind one of the sets down for me they can keep the second set. Please only reply if you have experience doing this. thanks.
If you have a bench grinder, grinding the bits is a lot easier than making a pipe. Why not give it a go?

If you need some help drop me a PM, and I'll zap you my phone number. I think you'll be surprised how easy it is.
FredS

Post by FredS »

Another nod to shorter bits from me. I drill in a drill press, and short chamber bits mean I don't have to move the table up or down when switching from mortise/draft hole to chamber drilling, which means that all bits drill towards the same point of convergence.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford