Question: A good set of bits?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
tigercasual

Question: A good set of bits?

Post by tigercasual »

Okay guys,

As I finalize my order, let me let our friend emoticon show you exactly what my brain feels like... :bangin:

That being said, here's what I've gathered is the best setup/system, for drilling stems- keeping in mind that I am using a lathe.

Please feel free to correct me and make suggestions.

A 5/32" bit for the shank

Forstner bits for facing

1/8", 5/32" (tapered) and long 1/16" for stemwork.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks again for all of your help,
Danny
Charl

Re: Question: A good set of bits?

Post by Charl »

What's the 1/8" for, Danny? I also don't use the forstners any more for facing, I just do it on the lathe with chisel. The rest seems allright, might just need something for the mortise.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Mortise bits

Countersink

;)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

You will also need something to cut the slot in the end. I use a dremel with a cutting bit, and then a short 1/16 bit in the drill press to widen it out. You probably already knew that ...
Regards,
Tim
tigercasual

Post by tigercasual »

Charl wrote:What's the 1/8" for, Danny? I also don't use the forstners any more for facing, I just do it on the lathe with chisel. The rest seems allright, might just need something for the mortise.
Charl,

I've read that 1/8" is the "standard" bit used to drill the airway through the stem- not including the use of a tapered bit/bits and needle files. Then again, as mentioned in my previous post, my brain is quickly dissolving into something resembling an ancient fruitcake thought lost in the back of your grandparents pantry.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Check out the sticky in the stems section by TJ on "handcut stems without a lathe"
Most of it will be irrelevant for you, but it notes the different size/style bits needed for a handcut stem and, elaborates on "cutting the slit" :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)