Why Are Cobbs Great Pipe Material?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
pecci

Why Are Cobbs Great Pipe Material?

Post by pecci »

What physical properties in dried corn cobbs, make them such a wonderful pipe/smoke?
Sasquatch

Re: Why Are Cobbs Great Pipe Material?

Post by Sasquatch »

They are absorbent of moisture and relatively heat resitant, and they don't add a burning-tire smell to the smoke.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

In some respects, like Todd mentioned, they're like clay pipes. Very absorbent of water vapor, and very neutral in flavor. And they cost like, what, $1.99? That accounts for something you know. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The flipside of the answer is that one could argue that cobs are NOT "great" pipe material. They don't especially stand up to moisture or abuse, they don't accept joinery with any real strength, and the size and shape of the material is limited. So really, the answer depends on what you are looking for in a pipe.

Once they make a cob Oom-Paul, I'm in.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Never have smoked one and the likelihood of doing so is nil.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yeah, not "great". The stem, is the biggest drawback. It's made from some cheap plastic material that's pure junk.

Joinery? You're kidding, right?

I like them for trying new tobacco blends. That's about it.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah I tried a glue up of successively smaller pieces of cob each cut at 4.5 degrees to make a Cob-Calabash, but it didn't work out that well. Maybe I used the wrong adhesive. I'll try some PL-400 Subfloor Super Grip next time.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Duh. JB Weld.

Didn't we go over this before?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

Cobs are sure great fun though. I mean for under $5 you can make all sorts of things with very few tools and it takes very little time.

Here is a slideshow of some I made. The slide show is kind of messed up in that it has duplicates and is missing some of my fav's but what the hey, I really was just having fun and now am trying to get serious about briar but it is fun to watch. http://s419.photobucket.com/albums/pp27 ... d4682f.pbw

Besides being a different medium with different smoking characteristics there is too much that you cannot do with cobs though... well maybe with JB Weld you can do a blowfish... but I aint gonna :lol: While I am taking the advice of those who have gone before me when it comes to briar and focusing on the basic classic stuff until I earn the right to play again, I miss goofing with cobs :lol:

When the Christmas decorations come out this year I have something in one of the boxes that I made for Christmas last year and it will make ya smile... or cringe. One of them Christmas bugle horn thingies, made out of a giant MM Mac Arthur cob bowl I shaped into a horn, curved a really long bamboo shank into a full circle, and then turned the stem upside down on.. that may make no sense but it looks nifty ;)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

A cob-fish... why didn't I think of that.

Wallenstein to the front desk please.... Wallenstein to the front desk.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I'm new to the forum, I guess I'm what they call a newb and have a couple of questions.
At what pressure can you blast a corn cob pipe?
Should I treat the bowl in my corn cob pipes?
Is it best to polyurethane, lacquer or use tung oil on the outside of the bowl?
We have an old outhouse, would the cobs from there be good for pipes, since they would be considered cured and vintage? This would keep me from having to oil cure.
Would a cherry blend or straight latakia smoke best in a cob?
Our pond has reeds and would they be good for stem material?
Can you do the salt treatment on an old cob pipe?
Can I use my wood lathe for cobs or do I need to buy a metal lathe?
At what grit do you sand a cob pipe to, I have been sanding to 10,000 grit is that too much sanding?
Is there such a thing as a cross cut cob?
Can you make other shapes from cobs, or are you stuck with just a cob shape?
Being new, I'm having a hard time with pricing. Any help would be appreciated.
Lastly, and this is off the subject of cobs, but are there any hot chicks that go to pipe shows or that are pipe makers?
LAH

Post by LAH »

baweaverpipes wrote:I'm new to the forum, I guess I'm what they call a newb and have a couple of questions.
At what pressure can you blast a corn cob pipe?
Should I treat the bowl in my corn cob pipes?
Is it best to polyurethane, lacquer or use tung oil on the outside of the bowl?
We have an old outhouse, would the cobs from there be good for pipes, since they would be considered cured and vintage? This would keep me from having to oil cure.
Would a cherry blend or straight latakia smoke best in a cob?
Our pond has reeds and would they be good for stem material?
Can you do the salt treatment on an old cob pipe?
Can I use my wood lathe for cobs or do I need to buy a metal lathe?
At what grit do you sand a cob pipe to, I have been sanding to 10,000 grit is that too much sanding?
Is there such a thing as a cross cut cob?
Can you make other shapes from cobs, or are you stuck with just a cob shape?
Being new, I'm having a hard time with pricing. Any help would be appreciated.
Lastly, and this is off the subject of cobs, but are there any hot chicks that go to pipe shows or that are pipe makers?

I say that the outhouse cobs are superior. It depends on how old your outhouse is but if your lucky they are most likely old growth cobs in there, also you don't have to apply stain.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Young Bruce,
I'm sure there are plenty of hot pipe making chicks who would love to try your outhouse corncob, but I would suggest sanding to well beyond 10,000 grit afterward. For stain used motor oil will give you a nice shine and make it easier to get you outhouse corncob away from the hot pipe making ladies at the clinic.
But beware, THOSE ladies may be hard smokers, so expect burnout and brandishing with a 50/50 mix of ajax and stell wool lest you wanna turn you cob into a science project ;)
Hope this helps brucey-kins
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
pecci

Post by pecci »

My first words, from my first post on this forum read:

"Hi everyone ... a newby here, as green :mrgreen: as the grass you walk on. I suspect I'll do more reading than writing for a while. I'm very impressed with the knowledge, talent and friendliness. Everyone is willing to help, which testifies, to me anyway ... how committed you are & how much you love your craft. I admit, your comments and your work are intimidating to a guy who hasn't carved anything but a Thanksgiving Day turkey."

Perhaps this statement is not so true. The last thing a new wannabee pipemaker wants to read, is an experienced pipemaker, having fun at his expense. In reading a lot from this forum previously, I honestly did not see any of this. In no way are you guys carving (pun intended) a positive or helpful atmosphere, to the newbies, who want to learn, experience & enjoy your craft. A few contributor's on this thread and another recent one on this particular forum should perhaps take it to Kurt, and tell him to take the "Alternative Materials" forum off his website." Obviously, many of you don't agree with the Site Administrator's decision to include, "other materials." It also might save a new member from some good-natured humiliation. Personally, after noticing this particular forum, and reading plenty of good info within it, I assumed that pipes could be made of other lesser materials. My bad!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I can't exactly remember who said it, but I believe it was Sasquatch: "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".
Of course we can't forget the famous words from, I believe, Thad Johnston: "if they don't have the guts, I call them girlie men".
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

A lot of folks here give a rash of grief, usually in good fun. Sometimes interpreted as mean spirited, and if I've came across as such, I do sincerely apologize.
I myself caught a lot of grief starting out here as well.
The thing with corn cob pipes, is they don't tranfer taste from one tobacco to another, like if you're trying new blends, which is most helpful. And the cost makes them a bit more appealing as well. Aside from cost, no taste transfer and the fact that I think they look cool, that's bout all I can think of honestly.
The rest of the ongoing ribbing is usually people who know one another harassing friends with no intentional disrespect to the original poster.
I do apologize for my participation in such if it has offended anyone.
Just try to take most of what it said with a grain of salt and stick around, you'll figure out who the clowns are, and from there it's very entertaining :)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Pecci, you got a legitimate, straightforward answer right away. You have also been shown the flipside, which is that as well as corn cob material smokes, it is basically a "temporary" material as far as a pipe goes, so a limited amount of workmanship goes into a cob. Now, you can hit the workshop and make an artful corncob pipe, but you'll always be limited by the materials in ways that have been outlined here.

Nobody's making jokes at your expense in particular. Knowing why a material is good at certain things is important. But none of us work in corn cobs because it's not "worth it" to put hours and hours into a pipe that will only sell for 10 bucks because that's the market.

Bruce's post actually highlights all the things that corn cobs lack as a material and a bunch of reasons we don't spend any time with them as "serious pipe makers". These guys make pipes for money. Cobs are not part of that equation.

PS I'm also just having fun - I think the idea of a cob calabash is totally awesome, but it is also tremendously problematic in real ways.
pecci

Post by pecci »

It's ok, guys. I think I'm just a little anxious to get started. I wasn't offended, just disappointed. I'll just have to get to know you guys.

As for you, beaverwipes ... do you ever speak for yourself, or do you just quote others?

Guess I'm catching on already, huh missy? :fencing:

I'll be back with more stupid questions, later fellers.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

pecci wrote:As for you, beaverwipes ... do you ever speak for yourself, or do you just quote others?
I'll be back with more stupid questions.
Be careful. It would be a shame to ostracize yourself so soon.
pecci

Post by pecci »

Just checking to see how you handled a taste of your own medicine.

Apparently, you handled it the same way as I did.

Let's be friends, now!