Restoring A Meer?

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
Wallbright

Restoring A Meer?

Post by Wallbright »

I have searched around for a thread that dealt with restoring a meerschaum pipe but have not found any luck on how to do a total restore. I received this pipe in a lot I got off ebay. It is pretty bad condition but I was wondering if anything can be done to restore it? I know that you cannot do the regular salt and alcohol treatment on meers so I am at a loss at what to do. Or should I just toss it since it seems to be a cheap meerschaum pipe anyways? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Sorry for the big pictures I haven't found how to resize them without them being tiny)

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Restoring A Meer?

Post by KurtHuhn »

The thing with meers is that once they get chipped, you need to change the shape to get rid of the chip.

Other than that, meers will color over time, and get darker and develop a patina. I wouldn't worry about the brown color too much.

The stem looks like it has a nice flush fit. Is it loose or anything?

My suggestion? Set this one aside until you've developed some skill working on the wooden version. Then you can come back to this and you'll be much better prepared to deal with the trials you'll face trying to work on it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Wallbright

Post by Wallbright »

KurtHuhn wrote:The thing with meers is that once they get chipped, you need to change the shape to get rid of the chip.

Other than that, meers will color over time, and get darker and develop a patina. I wouldn't worry about the brown color too much.

The stem looks like it has a nice flush fit. Is it loose or anything?

My suggestion? Set this one aside until you've developed some skill working on the wooden version. Then you can come back to this and you'll be much better prepared to deal with the trials you'll face trying to work on it.
The stem fits very nicely and as far as I can tell there are no other issues to the pipe other than a slight cake and then the chip on the top. I suppose I will continue to let it sit there and go untouched but it has been sitting a couple months and I wanted to try out smoking a meer as I have never smoked one before.
DMI

Post by DMI »

If you must clean it start by sanding the chamber clean, DO NOT USE A REAMER.

Instead of S/A use a piece of cotton wool moistened with alcohol, meerschaum is boiled in wax during manufacture and if you remove the wax you'll need to replace it.

Clean the airway with pipecleaners dipped in alcohol, the stem appears to be one of the older resin types so should be fine with the alcohol (but not for soaking)

David.
Wallbright

Post by Wallbright »

DMI wrote:If you must clean it start by sanding the chamber clean, DO NOT USE A REAMER.

Instead of S/A use a piece of cotton wool moistened with alcohol, meerschaum is boiled in wax during manufacture and if you remove the wax you'll need to replace it.

Clean the airway with pipecleaners dipped in alcohol, the stem appears to be one of the older resin types so should be fine with the alcohol (but not for soaking)

David.
Thanks for the information David. What grit sand paper is best to use?
DMI

Post by DMI »

From the picture there does not seem to be a lot of build up so I'd start around 240 and be gentle. Meerschaum is soft and it is easy to over sand, one of mine has a nice egg shaped chamber.

David.