Disc sander speed...

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
CastAxe

Disc sander speed...

Post by CastAxe »

I have looked through these forums and i cant seem to find anything on what a good speed for shaping is. Im finding that the drill i have that spins at 3000 rpms takes more off than i would like it too and im going thru sandpaper like crazy. What is a good speed for shaping on a disc sander?
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
caskwith

Re: Disc sander speed...

Post by caskwith »

1400RPM is the common choice I think. I personally have a variable speed set up and do rough shaping with a 40grit disc at 3000RPM, then as i get finer with the paper and the shaping I work my way down a range of speeds ending up at around 300RPM for tweaking the shape and flushing up the shank/stem.
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

Ahh that makes sense, ive been using 50 grit at 3000 rpms on a consistent basis for all phases of my shaping.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I personally like to rough shape at around 3600 RPM on the disk, or about 5000 SFPM on the belt grinder. That's removes material in a manner that can only be described as stupid fast. Then to tweak the shape, always done at the disc, I like to cut down to 1700 RPM. Then I stay at that speed through all grits that I'll power sand at.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I shape and sand everything at 1150 rpm.

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

36 grit @ 3600.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

I use 60 grit @ 1728 RPM on a 5" disc, then as I get close to finished change to 120 grit.
I always keep the top of the bowl and the end of the shank in mind, and I keep a finger on the end of the shank. It's better to loose skin and fingernails, than the end of the shank. It won't grow back.

I also use a 3" dia. x 1" drum and 1" and 2" x 60" belt with a 3" dia. drive wheel, all with 1728 RPM, A-C Induction motors, 1/2 hp disc, 1/6 hp the other two. Seems to have plenty of power. All home-made with some components from old junk equipment and some from http://www.mcmaster.com/ (correction). The 60 grit to 120 grit formula is a bit simplified, I think. I am still in the early development stages.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWM

Post by SWM »

Looks like anything goes. :wink:

My contribution: 24 grit at 2800 RPM for most shaping then continuing at highher grit or by hand to touch things up as far as shaping is concerned. I do not change speed, mainly because I can't change speed on the motor I have :roll: - this is maybe a thing to be changed in the future... To compensate for this I lighten my touch to the wheel as I get closer to the desired shape. Well, this works for me...

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I'm glad to hear you say that. I kept reading the new posts wondering if I was the only person on here w/o a variable speed grinder. I have the option of 1725 RPM, by hand or.... well, that's it.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

What a bunch of sissies. I usually use 8 grit at about 12,000, but you know, to each his (or her) own.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Disc sander speed...

Post by mredmond »

e Markle wrote:What a bunch of sissies. I usually use 8 grit at about 12,000, but you know, to each his (or her) own.
Hilarious. I got a good chuckle out of this.

- Micah
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

e Markle wrote:What a bunch of sissies. I usually use 8 grit at about 12,000, but you know, to each his (or her) own.
I'm the same as you, Ernie. I figure, if I can't take all the material off in 3 seconds or less, I'm failing. Time is money, you know. ;)

:lol:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
SWM

Post by SWM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very fine, guys! :wink: I didn't know this was a contest. Else I would have claimed to do my shaping with an axe, which would be 1 grit I assume :mrgreen: .

I originally started out with 40 grit and I even shaped at 60, 80 or 120 grit right from the start. With a new pad the speed isn' t that much of an issue. The main difference is that the lower grit pads last much longer. And I'm just too lazy to change pads, so I tend to stick with the pad that is on the wheel until shaping is almost finished. Or to put it a little bit in my favor: I am so deeply in trance while shaping that I forget to change pads... :wink:

Best,

Steffen

PS: But to all you sissies out there: It is good advice to watch your fingernails (and fingers after the nails have gone) when working with 24 grit at 2800 RPM, that's true. Pah, sissies!
Nate

Post by Nate »

You know, working in aviation got me thinking before and I had been planning a way to mount a sanding disc to a turbine. I figure I can coax about 60,000 rpm out of it. Running costs may be a bit high, but I think the first time I vaporize a block of briar, it will be worth it!

I may want gloves....
SWM

Post by SWM »

Don't forget goggles and a helmet.

You sissy!

Nate

Post by Nate »

SWM wrote:Don't forget goggles and a helmet.

You sissy!

You know, you're right, who needs safety gear? Heck I work on them when they're running, why not work with them while their running! What a girl I am! Thanks for the smack of common sense Steffen!! :lol:

And with that, I will no longer hijack the thread. ;)
CastAxe

Post by CastAxe »

I am finding this to be highly amusing :lol:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I use a Stihl MS460 with a Rapid Super chain. Dust collection isn't so good, but it oil cures the stummels while u work.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use a Dodge Ram 1500 at 400HP....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Do you run winter tires at this point Kurt, or do they stick to the briar too much?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!