olive zulu/dublin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bregolad

olive zulu/dublin

Post by bregolad »

All my olive blocks have been cut out of the same stump, and badly dried, but this last weekend I managed to cut a few decent blocks out. this one was the best, and I'm extremely pleased with the pipe. I drilled freehand again, which was quite successful (no small feat with just a drill press.) I know there are a few hairline cracks, but none of them will affect smoking.

I also used 3/8" delrin to sleeve the 5/16" tenon, just to make sure the shank doesn't crack and to give it a nice snug fit.

J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Sorringowl

Re: olive zulu/dublin

Post by Sorringowl »

Nice job, Brego!
I love olivewood pipes and this has a nice shape to it. I think the hairline cracks give it some character as well. I would love to try some olivewood (have only done some walnut pipes and just got my first blocks of briar). Did you do the stem yourself? If so, could you recommend a good supplier?

Overall, a nice job with some nice shaping on your part.
Congrats!
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

That's a really pretty piece of wood. The bowl size looks just right to me. The only critique I would have is that it looks a bit like the sides of the bowl may be a little flat...sort of paneled. But this may just be an illusion on the picture. Either way, this is a really pretty pipe. Nice job.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice. That wood is beautiful and you positioned the grain very handsomely. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

thanks all! the stem is actually a guidicci, slightly modified, o'course :) my other option was clear extruded acrylic, and to confirm what everyone is always saying, extruded is a bitch. there is no paneling, so it must be an illusion of the picture.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com